THRIPS!!! How to get rid of them???

May 22, 2013
St Louis, MO
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
First full summer with our pool.. we've become quite the professionals thanks to TFP.com!! However, one small nuisance we can't seem to permanently shake..... THRIPS!!! I'm guessing they maybe prefer cooler water, as we haven't seen them since the heat showed up... But yesterday we had a BIG cold front come through. Air temp is 69.. water is 76. Thrips are everywhere.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyQeC4Y7 ... 0qzb1LcFcw

FC: 5 (had to turn up SWG due to consistent young age of swimmers & lots of hot sun.. now we've caught up. Just shut it off)
pH: 7.5
CYA: 90
TA: 80
I don't test hardness..

Suggestions???

Ugh... They are along the entire edge of the pool, but especially gather on the hard surfaces (sunshelf, steps). SO annoying!! Plus, my 3 yr old has a semi-irrational fear of bugs... haven't really figured out why, but at 3, I'm not going to worry about it yet. Just need to get rid of them. :)

You might try a bug light. Not sure if they will be attracted to the light or not. I would put it near where you see them. Try leaving it plugged up in the daytime in the same location. Put a piece of tape over the light sensor if it has one.

Also you may try fly paper. Use metal clothes hangers and shape them in such a manner that it will hold the fly paper and you can stick it in the ground if you have ground to stick it in.

Worth a try I guess since you probably dont want any insecticide near your pool.

I found this, which recommends using Skin So Soft to kill them. I would think it'd be CNET for the pool chemistry, as it should be no different than someone having this on their skin and getting in the pool.
wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_you_get_rid_of_thrips_in_your_pool_area

Apparently there's a specific "bug guard" in that product line.

Also, for any infestation around the pool area, away from the water, one person swears by a 10% ammonia and water mix in a spray bottle. Sounds like a good idea. Although I imagine this would not be good for the pool long term anyway.

Response to this old thread, I had Thrips again this year, and again it was after a real large downpour. My wife simply took a cloth and wiped around the perimiter of the pool at the water line where they hang out and they were gone after that. Like cleaning dirt.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.