Advice please for liner tear.

May 24, 2008
Toms River NJ
Hi all. Quick question. I have 15x30 oval AG that has about a 1 inch by 1/4 tear on the liner bottom. I called the company that did the installation for me 5 years ago to see if repairing it was an option and they said that they don't do liner repairs and they also said that bottom liner repairs don't normally patch too well and then proceeded to suggest that I get a new liner. Also, where the leak is has washed some of the sand out from underneath the liner and has created a void where the liner is no longer supported. That void is probably about a 1 foot diameter. Any advice on how this can be handled? I want to get this done ASAP so I don't lose too much pool time. Thanks so much for your replies.

You can safely patch the hole using a patch kit from the pool store. Make your first patch cover the hole and then go over it again with a bigger patch and it should hold. You can use the patch under water too. I always had one of the kids put a foot on my back to keep me under so I could hold it in place for a few seconds. I would imagine you would want a trusted individual to help you. :mrgreen:

I'm not surprised thay want you to buy a new liner. You can certainly get away with a patch. If the patch fails then maybe a new liner is in your future but certainly try the patch first. :goodjob:

I had a small tear in my pool on the slope going down to the deep end. Happened about 4 years ago I think. I just patched it (had to replace the patch once) and it has held up pretty good for me. I didnt have a big void though underneath.

Maybe just patch it just to get you through for now?

Thanks guys. Went out a bought a patch kit. Had my wife hold me down and put the first patch on. So far so good. Bringing the water level back to normal and then will monitor for any loss. The patch seems to have taken well. I'm not surprised the installers were pushing for a new liner either, hence my posting this thread. If the water level holds, I will follow up with the second patch tomorrow. I don't think the void will be an issue. Once the tear was covered, it stopped the water flowing out and the liner seemed to just adhere to where the dip is and is now supported. I'll keep you posted as to the end result. Thanks so much for your advice.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.