SunHeater, SunGrabber, EZ-Heat or Solar Bear?

May 3, 2008
rock springs, wi
These are the four brands of solar heaters I have seen. The Solar Bear has 2" manifolds and the others have 1 1/2". Also, the Solar Bears consist of 4x20 one piece panels, while the others are 2x20 panels. Solar Bears cost more.

Are there any other differences?

The 4x20 panels would seem cleaner and easier to set up. However more expensive to replace if you could otherwise replace only a 2x20 panel in case of a leak, etc..

I live in Wisconsin so I will need to be able to move these indoors in winter. Are these easy to roll up without damaging them?

The Solar Bear are said to put out the most BTU's for any solar panel. One would think the rubber ones would, but they dont. I have 3 of the Solar Bears on my roof, and they easily raise my pool temp 10 to 12 degree's when the sun is out. If you check online, you can get them for around 240 per.
If you can get a spot to install them permanently they are said to last more then 10 years even with harsh winters like I get. I am in Eastern Canada. But if you want to take it down each fall, they are a snap to do as well.

Rik

The Solar Bears also have valves built in on the headers..Nice feature. I have them and love them. I think mine were $243ish with free shipping ($9.00 handling or so)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.