Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SunHeater, SunGrabber, EZ-Heat or Solar Bear?

1. Back To Top    #1

SunHeater, SunGrabber, EZ-Heat or Solar Bear?

These are the four brands of solar heaters I have seen. The Solar Bear has 2" manifolds and the others have 1 1/2". Also, the Solar Bears consist of 4x20 one piece panels, while the others are 2x20 panels. Solar Bears cost more.

Are there any other differences?

The 4x20 panels would seem cleaner and easier to set up. However more expensive to replace if you could otherwise replace only a 2x20 panel in case of a leak, etc..

I live in Wisconsin so I will need to be able to move these indoors in winter. Are these easy to roll up without damaging them?
    27' AGP with 6' deep end (AquaLeader); 3/4 hp, 2 speed pump (Pentair); 22" sand filter (Pentair Sand Dollar); 2 4x20 Solar Bear panels with Goldline control valve

2. Back To Top    #2
    TFP Guide

In the Industry

The Solar Bear are said to put out the most BTU's for any solar panel. One would think the rubber ones would, but they dont. I have 3 of the Solar Bears on my roof, and they easily raise my pool temp 10 to 12 degree's when the sun is out. If you check online, you can get them for around 240 per.
    If you can get a spot to install them permanently they are said to last more then 10 years even with harsh winters like I get. I am in Eastern Canada. But if you want to take it down each fall, they are a snap to do as well.

Rik

3. Back To Top    #3

I do not want to take them down, I thought I had to. Do they drain completely?

Where can I find them for $240 per? I have not seen them that low.
    27' AGP with 6' deep end (AquaLeader); 3/4 hp, 2 speed pump (Pentair); 22" sand filter (Pentair Sand Dollar); 2 4x20 Solar Bear panels with Goldline control valve

4. Back To Top    #4
    The Solar Bears also have valves built in on the headers..Nice feature. I have them and love them. I think mine were $243ish with free shipping ($9.00 handling or so)
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!