New Pool Ontario

Jun 30, 2013
Hi All,

I have been reading the posts on this site for a couple hours now and it appears to be a place where I can get some honest answers!!

We are about to start construction of our pool (hopefully in a week if the weather cooperates). I have to make some final decisions on the pool and I am desperate for advice.

Here are some details that we have finalized:
- 16x35 rectangular outdoor pool
- autocover by coverstar
- full width (16') steel steps in shallow end
- Pump and heater will be installed in the pool house (Is there anything that we should do to help prevent mold? The heater will be vented.)

Everything else is up in the air:
Pool company is recommending UV with low salt chlorine generator (I will clarify exactly what they are recommending - I don't see this on the quote but I have heard him say it many times). I am torn between what they are telling us and a salt water pool. Everyone I know that has salt water loves it and swear that it is less work to maintain. Whereas the pool company suggests that this UV system is the way to go. If you had the chance to do it from scratch what would you suggest? I understand that UV only cleans what passes through it and you get UV from the sun...

Pump - going to get a variable speed pump but what size (HP) would you recommend? The quote appears to reference 1/2 HP hayward. I would prefer a quieter model...

Heater - 266BTU Raypak is what they are including
- I am also looking at a solar heat system to aid in the heating of the pool - I am leaning towards a techno-solis system over enersol & ecosun at this time and will have it controlled by a goldline controller

LED Lights - I understand you can have 2 per Transformer - Was thinking 3-4 for the pool as the kids and adults alike will like the colours? Suggestions?

Jets - someone we know suggested a bottom jet in the pool? Any thoughs on this? Considering Laminar jets (2) that provide the glass rod effect entering the water with LED lights

8' Diving Board

I guess what I am looking for is experience and unbiased opinion in terms of what is the best way to go for a lower maintenance, family friendly, and heavily used pool (we have three young kids and they have plenty of friends in the area).

Thanks and I look forward to your replies!! I will post pictures as we progress!!

Welcome to tfp, rennera :wave:

I would avoid the UV system, there is no need for it in a typical residential pool. As for the saltwater chlorine generator (swg), I like mine a lot. I am not sure what "low salt" means, most of the ones that I am familiar with use about 3000 ppm salt in the water.

Unless you have high flow water features planned such as jets, waterfalls, spa, etc. a small vs pump will work well. Possibly the hayward maxflo or superflow vs would be decent choices. I am not familiar with any 1/2 hp vs pumps though. Another option would be a 2-speed pump.

Any thoughts on what you want for a filter?

Thanks for the quick reply linen!

Looking at quote it appears to be a 24" hayward Filter (Sand or Zeobrite) not educated on these in the least. Any concerns?

When you have a saltwater chlorine generator - does that mean you have a salt water pool with an automated chlorine generator? As opposed to manually throwing salt in the pool.

Ditch the UV.....it doesn't work like your PB thinks it does.

Check with your insurance company about the diving board......some don't like it a bit and will punish you financially if you put one in.

A 1 HP VS pump would be about the right size for your pool.

If you really want to spend some VERY wise money, get a 30" filter instead of the 24". It will pay you back over and over......most people skip over a nice filter because it not "glitzy" and the advantage is hard to see up front. The advantage pays you back over and over through out the years of your pool. Secondly, we do not suggest the use of zeobrite for a variety of reasons, one of the main ones being there is absolutely nothing wrong with sand.

Diving boards do seem to have gone out of style with insurance companies in Ontario. Our PB told us that when he did our pool 8 years ago - said he didn't install them any more. Many people just put a landscape rock where the board would go at the deep end that you can jump and dive off. Make sure it doesn't hang out over the water or you will bump your head on it when swimming under it.

I am with duraleigh on the filter...I am assuming your pool is about 23000 gallons (I assumed an average depth of 5.5 ft), so for that size pool we would recommend a minimum 4.3 sq. ft. sand filter (i.e. minimum 28 inch diameter).

As for saltwater chlorine generators, I really like mine, but it really is just another way to chlorinate your pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.