All Lights on - SWG Not producing Chlorine

Jun 8, 2013
Cape Cod, MA
I'm working with a Goldline controller hooked up to a Jandy Auqarite RS system. I set the goldline generator to be remotely controlled by the Aquarite by emulating the Aquapure generator - (AL-5 setting). All lights are on, power, flow, generating... all green. When I put it in shock mode remotely, that light goes on too. I replaced the cell at the end of last season using a generic brand vs. the goldline (perhaps a mistake?). Despite setting the unit to 100%, when I test the chlorine coming directly out of the generator, it isn't reading anything. (pool being kept in balance using tabs and bleach to shock)... numbers below are current but it was at about 1.5 when I tested it. Even with a 2.1, shouldn't I expect the values coming out of the generator to be higher when it is set at 100%?

Temp 80
Saturation Idx -0.5
TDS 4000
CYA 50
Total Chlorine: 2.1
Free Chlorine 2.1
PH: 7.4
Total Alkalinity: 112
Adj Tot Alk: 104
Total Hardness: 103
Minerals 3000

Note 1: I just switched out the PCB of the Jandy to the aqualink IQ 900-RS. Everything appears to be working properly... when i boost the generator from a hand held device the settings on the Goldline controller change.
Note 2: All of the diagnostic data from the goldline generator are within the specs recommended in this forum and the manual.

I test using strips, testing kit (Taylor something... at work now so can't check the model) and backing those up with results from the, yes you guessed it, pool store. All three seem to be in about the same place with respect to results. (although my kit doesn't give me hardness, salt level, etc).

Ok... so I shouldn't see any noticeable difference in testing the water coming directly from the return. humm... any other way to validate that the cell is working properly? I did clean it a week ago (although there was no scaling on it so I don't think it really needed cleaning).

You can crack the downstream union on the cell a bit so it leaks and catch a sample there. It should be a few ppm higher than the bulk pool water. It won't be much but it should be enough to tell a difference.

If you have one of the recommended kits they will test for hardness. Do you have the FAS-DPD test?

Right now the sample is actually coming from the polaris vaccuum hose vs the return, which is also fed by the chlorine generator so it isn't being mixed with any of the pool water. I'll try as you suggest but not sure that it would be much different?

One other thing I thought of is that the cell is only about 3 linear feet from the heater and also services the spa. The temp doesn't get above 102 but could the hot water somehow be burning out the cell?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.