Raising pH and shock

May 10, 2013
Maryville, TN
This might not be the right forum and if not I apologize. I have started fighting what I believe to be an algae bloom. However prior to starting the shock process I tested at 6.8 pH. I had some left over pH up which test indicate i need to add 6 cups based on per-shock testing. Here is my question and problem, I forgot to do the pH up prior to starting shock. I know that I can't accurately test pH while shocking but should I go ahead and add the 6 cups pH up and test at the end of the shock process? Pool is an 18x36 in ground vinyl with pentair IC-40 SWG. Test number before starting shock were:

Fc- 3.8
PH- 6.8
TA- 80
CH- 50
CYA- 60

Do an FC and pH test and report the results. When doing the pH test, mix and read right away. How much and what kind of chlorine have you added?

With a TA of 80 and a SWG, it is unusual to have a low pH. Do you know why the pH is so low?

I would go ahead and raise the PH at least a little now, and then the next time the FC level is below 10, test the PH again and adjust as needed. For shocking, you only need to raise PH to 7.2. Anything beyond that can wait until shocking is complete.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.