Pump won't run

HamburgerChef

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 8, 2013
Indianapolis Indiana
I just got done finishing out the electrical and now the pump won't run. I had the wiring temporarily hooked up without a box on the outside of the house and it worked fine. I put a permanent weatherproof box on the house and connected the wires with weatherproof wire-nuts. I have a lot of experience with electrical work (yes it is wired correctly for size) but no experience with electric motors.

The pump was working fine before but now it is really hard to start. If i turn the switch to low or high it hums but doesn't run. Retry and it may run or not run. When it does run it hesitates for a second or two humming and then starts pumping. When it runs it is quite and runs fine.

It didn't do this before the new box. It would start pumping immediately. What gives?

Wire is 12 AWG about an 80' run. 15 amp GFCI breaker. All within the limits of the pumps documentation.

Left it off for about 15 minutes and then it fired right up. I hate electrical Gremlins. They are exactly the reason I gave up on an electrical carreer and became a Nurse.

After I wired it all up, I went in and turned on the breaker without turning of the switch on the pump. By the time walked around the house and figured out what was happening the pump was smoking a little and hot. Maybe I fried the starter windings. But why did this happen in the first place.

Anyways it is running now though I'm hesitant to shut it off. Weirdest thing is that the last time I turned it off trying to test it, it made a "pssss" sound when it stopped pumping. Like a steam engine or something.

Is it possible for the filter to hold vacuum like vapor lock in an engine? Just thinking pump works fine now and I can't figure out what is different now. Still afraid to run a timer and risk it not starting and overheating again.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

Induction motors have a fairly large voltage range so I doubt that was the issue.

Does the pump motor have a centrifugal switch? Check the contacts to make sure they are clean. The timer contacts could also be the issue.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.