First Time Testing with TF-100

smac22

Jun 30, 2013
Just joined the TFP site after reading a ton of great info and posts the last few weeks. I ordered a TF-100 and just completed all the tests to see where I'm at. I'm a little worried about the CH and CYA. We have very "hard" water here and have visible calcium build up on faucets in the home. I've gone with pool store chemicals since I've owned the pool (about 6 years).
17,000 gal gunite chlorine pool
FC 10ppm
PH 7.5
CC 0
TA 100
CH 650
CYA 100+
Any help or suggestions would be great. I've read many posts about trapping rain water for the pool instead of filling from the City water supply so that may be something I have to look in to doing soon. I've have some visible signs of calcuim residue around my elevated spa waterfall and where some of the gunite meets the stone. I'm excited to get away from the pool store chemicals and learn more about the BBB method. Thank you!

I found this on the CH.

They stole my water sample!

When CH starts getting that high, you really need to watch TA & pH. Plug the numbers into the pool calculator and see what the CSI is, then play with the parameters and get a feel for how close to scaling its is, and what even small changes to pH and TA can do. Incidentally, that pol is a prime candidate for using the 10 ml sample size. At that level, whether you read 800, 825, or 810 it doesn't make a lot of difference. What's the CH of the fill water? If it's high, the drain & refill scenario isn't as satisfying as it could be. Rainwater is another story. Encourage them to harvest as much of that free Calcium-free water as possible when it rains.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Thank you for the replies! My fill water test today came back at CH of 100 so I'm thinking a partial removal and refill may be necessary. I did a 70% removal and refill about 3 years ago so I guess the tablets and shock ruined that quickly. I've attached a few pics of the white buildup I'm getting as well. Thank you for the help and advice

Attachments

• IMG_7929.JPG
    IMG_7929.JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_7927.JPG
    IMG_7927.JPG
    82.1 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_7930.JPG
    IMG_7930.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 36
Thank you, I've cleaned it before with muriatic acid and it bubbles up and I can scrub most of it away but yes it comes back. The thicker areas that come back are between the gunite and the flagstone shown mostly in the last picture. Most of the slight discoloration on the actual flagstone is happening where I cant' get behind it to install any barrier and occurs mainly by my 2 shears and spa spill over area. I'll keep at it with the acid but I sure don't want to ruin the stone or weaken the grout

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.