New pool owner...

Jun 30, 2013
Just got my new pool all set up and need some guidance with chemicals and what not. It's a 15ft pool that's 35.5 ft deep and has a filtration system. I bought 3" tablets but the filter system say it only uses 1" so I just cut it up and put it in the filter system as suggested in the manual. That was last night around 10. Just tested it this morning and no chlorine is showing? Just wanting to know where to start to get everything perfect. Thanks.

I would start at reading pool school and get a grasp on what to use and what not to use like those pucks. Their no good.

Switch over to bleach. Also get yourself one of the test kits we recommend. I use the TF-100.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Welcome to TFP!

The first steps is to get some water test results. There is no way to know what needs adjusting without knowing what your current levels are. Ideally you want a top quality test kit (probably the best investment in your pool you can make), but if you don't have one pool store results are much better than nothing.

If you just filled the pool, I am not surprised that you aren't reading any chlorine. Your CYA starts out at zero, and sunlight burns off all of the chlorine very very quickly when CYA is zero.

And, of course, pwrstrk's advice to do some reading in Pool School is a really good idea!

Went and got a full test kit here are my results.
Cya: 75
TC: .5
FC: .5
Ph: 8.2
Alkalinity: 91
Hardness: 201
I've purchased some shock treatment. Ph decreaser and alkalinity adjuster. Anything that you could recommend?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.