New Pool Build in Granbury Texas

Slurpee98

LifeTime Supporter
May 6, 2013
UPDATED: New Pool Build in Granbury Texas

Update:
Electricians are done. Tile and coping this week with some stone work and the sheer descents hopefully. And a conundrum on how to upgrade my already installed Easytouch to intellitouch.

Howdy,

I've been lurking for quite a long time and I'm about to pull the trigger on a pool build. My lakehouse is not really all that fun when the lake is so low I can't use the boat or jump off the dock safely. So It's time to add a pool. I wanted first to submit the details as I have them to the collective wisdom/criticism of TFP. :blah: :blah: :blah:

General Specifications
Style - Rectangular

Size – 12.5'x~26'
Pool Square Footage – Approximately 336 Square Feet
Perimeter - 78'
Depth – 3 ½’ x 4' x 3 ½'
Acid Start-Up

Structural Specifications
Excavation - Bobcat Dig
Floor/Wall Steel Schedule - #3 10” OC, 5” x 10” OC in stress areas
Bond Beam Steel Schedule - #4 5” x 10” OC
Deck/Pool Steel Schedule - #3 Reinforcing Bar Deck Dowels 24” O.C.
Pool Structure - 8000 PSI Gunite
Walls - 8” Minimum (10-12" around skimmer), Floor - 8” Minimum (10-12" around drains), Bond Beam - 13" Minimum 36" tall
2 Bubblers in Tanning Ledge, 4 Pentair Laminar Color Jets along north side of pool.
Retaining wall breakout and sidewalk breakout
Screened soil for yard repair.
Sandstone Retaining Wall Build around pool shell and extended patio. New steps included.
Stable soil for retaining wall backfill.

Pool Equipment
Filter – 48 Sq. Ft Hayward DE Style Filter & Separation Tank
System Pump – 1 1/2 HP Hayward TriStar
Water Feature Pump – ??? TBD
Control - mechanical Timer
Cleaner – Polaris 280 (w/ Booster Pump Hayward 6060)
Erosion Type Chlorinator - Rainbow 320 In-line Automatic
Pool Lighting - 1 Pentair Intellibrite 5g Color LED Pool Lights, 3 Pentair GloBrite Lights
Main Drains - 2 VGB Compliant Anti-Entrapment
Skimmers - 2 Hayward SkimMaster
Returns - 4 Directional in Pool

Plumbing Specifications
Pipe - All 2” Schedule 40 (except as designated below)
3” Schedule 40 Manifold at Equipment Pad
1 1/2" thru-shell fittings
Dedicated return lines to equipment
Dedicated laminar and bubbler lines to equipment
Separate Skimmer Lines and Main Drain Lines to Equipment
Freeze Guard, Skimmer Protection, Never Lube Valves, Stub out for Fill Line.

Pool Coping and Tile
Tennessee Sandstone Coping
Waterline Tile – ??TBD??
Plaster – ??TBD?? Heavily leaning towards to Diamondbrite

Pool Decking and Drainage
Pool Decking - 390 Sq. Ft of 4” minimum poured concrete stamped and colored and sealed. Including Sidewalk to boat dock.
Concrete Reinforcement - #3 Reinforcing Bars tied on 18” Centers
Deck-O-Seal between Pool Coping and Decking
Gutter Drain – Yes, Tied into Deck Drains
Deck drains to yard.

Utilities Included
Pool Electrical Hook Ups - All Footage Included
Electrical Sub-panel with breakers with 2 mechanical timers (Later upgrade to Pentair IntelliTouch planned)
Layout on pad of equipment to facilitate adding Pentair Intellichem and chemical tanks as a later upgrade next summer.

Maintenance Equipment
Brush, Leaf Net, Telescopic Pole, Test Kit, Vacuum Head, Hose
Start-up Chemicals Included

Site Clean Ups
Gunite Clean Up
Final Clean Up

Warranties
Lifetime Gunnite Structural Warranty
2 year severe structural failure warranty
2 year plumbing warranty
1 year plaster from delamination warranty
3 year Polaris cleaner and booster pump unconditional warranty
Equipment Warranties by Manufacturers

Extra Items Included in Bid
GFCI Protected Electrical Outlet and Light at Equipment Pad
Volleyball and Umbrella Anchors

Attachments

• image_small.jpeg
    image_small.jpeg
    412.9 KB · Views: 1,011
  • image3_small.JPG
    image3_small.JPG
    325 KB · Views: 1,070
  • image2_small.JPG
    image2_small.JPG
    321.8 KB · Views: 1,074
This photo isn't very helpful beyond giving you a sense of what type of lake bulkhead situation I'm building with. Sadly that lake is 7' lower now. I hate droughts.

Attachments

• image4_small.JPG
    image4_small.JPG
    228.2 KB · Views: 1,074
Question for y'all. I'm considering adding a slide at one end of the pool. I dig the slides surfaced with a glass tile mosaic. My better half questions the comfort of sliding down a mosaic. I think she plans on enjoying it more than our son.

How does that surface slide? Is it relatively smooth? Rough? All input is appreciated.

Something like this

zu7a8a9e.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Slurpee98:

Looks like you will have a really nice pool! Looking at your specs, I have only one question: Is your System Pump (Haywood TriStar) a single-speed or a 2-speed? If it is a single-speed, I would opt for a 2-speed. The cost differential for a comparable 2-speed will be minimal, but it will give you the benefit of ongoing electricity savings.

As for the slide, I have never slid down a mosaic slide. But it sure looks cool!

Slurpee98 said:
It's three speed I think, but I'm seriously considering an Intellipro vs instead.
I haven't yet heard of a 3-speed, but manufacturers are coming out with new pumps all the time. Just make sure it is not a single-speed. I would hate to see you put in that fine pool and saddle it with a single-speed when for less than $100 more you could have had a comparable 2-speed with all the energy savings it offers. If you are like me and decide to keep the pool operational year-round, you will be really glad you got the 2-speed when the freeze guard kicks in and that pump runs for several hours on those days/nights when temps approach freezing. If you have lived in North Texas long enough, you know we get more of that than most people realize.

Generally speaking (from a cost/benefit perspective), if your electric rate is $0.20 per kWh or less, a 2-speed is the more cost-effective option over a variable speed.

Yup. I agree. If it helps I've lived here all my life and design motors among other things for a living? I'm all for VS motors. I'm just playing nice with my Hayward friendly pool builder. I'll use that Tristar later for something else maybe when I convert to pentair in a year or so.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hey there! We have a lake house on Granbury as well! We're in Harbor Lakes (and it looks like you might be too).
Some Comments:
  • It looks like the equipment pad might be against your master bedroom wall -- If your bed is also along this wall, then you might consider pushing the pad closer to the front of the house as the sound/vibration can disturb light sleepers[/*:m:1dc3qsc0]
  • Don't do the manual timers -- You'll regret it later. When we bought our house it originally had manual timers and it was a total headache. Save labor cost and just do it now. I replaced ours with the Jandy iAquaLink system (bought the whole kit online for inexpensive and then had Granbury Custom Pools install it) and it's been so much better -- Now I can monitor the pool remotely and and it's much easier to train family/friends how to use it when they visit than the manual timer)[/*:m:1dc3qsc0]

Looks like a great design. I have no personal experience of a mosaic slide but can pass on what my PB told me as I looked at it as an option. He reckoned it was quicker than a regular gunite/epoxy slide and was more slick. He did say however that it is a real pain to install the tiles and it needs to be done meticulously in order for there to be no edges from the tiles sticking up to get caught on.

We haven't made a final decision yet but I think we'll probably end up with gunite/epoxy as I'm guessing the tile will add to the cost.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
jragan said:
Hey there! We have a lake house on Granbury as well! We're in Harbor Lakes (and it looks like you might be too).
Some Comments:
  • It looks like the equipment pad might be against your master bedroom wall -- If your bed is also along this wall, then you might consider pushing the pad closer to the front of the house as the sound/vibration can disturb light sleepers[/*:m:1wnkrx2k]
  • Don't do the manual timers -- You'll regret it later. When we bought our house it originally had manual timers and it was a total headache. Save labor cost and just do it now. I replaced ours with the Jandy iAquaLink system (bought the whole kit online for inexpensive and then had Granbury Custom Pools install it) and it's been so much better -- Now I can monitor the pool remotely and and it's much easier to train family/friends how to use it when they visit than the manual timer)[/*:m:1wnkrx2k]

Yup, Harbor Lakes. Good guess. I can put that pad anywhere really. It's definitely going to be a big decision. I don't want it on the side of my house with the decent side yard at first take because it'll get in the way of my son's play area. But it would make for shorter pipe runs and some easier access and put it outside the kitchen rather than my bedroom. The other downside is that I'd have to run 220V and a water main over there. They're already on the bedroom side of the house though.

Yeah, the mechanical timers are a cheap solution for while I learn to take care of the pool. The plan is to put in the Pentair Intellitouch system later.

The HOA took so long making changes to the easement variance warranty for me to sign that the pool probably won't be done until October. At this point I'm thinking of delaying the whole thing till the spring. Sigh... best laid plans. :-D

Here are some photos of the nearly final design. The CFO decided she liked the waterfalls in the PB's demo pool at his office so three of those got added along the south side of the pool. Anyways, comments and criticisms more than welcome. Personally I'm thinking of making that tanning ledge wider. It seems like a glorified step now. My 2 year old needs play space without sacrificing the eventual teenagers play space. What a balancing act. I wish I had more yard.

Let's see - Details.

Dimensions
12.5' x 26' with a depth of 3.5' x 4.5' x 3.5'. I think the length and width will grow 6-9" once we get to excavating on site. It should end up close to 78 perimeter feet.

Interior Finish
White Plater with MetaMax and Start-Up Tec and some Teal Quartz crystals thrown in for a little color accent. We though hard about Durazzo or PebbleTec, but in the end decided to go with a simple finish the first time while our son is growing up. When it's due for resurfacing we'll probably grab something fancier. The CFO picked a nice turquoise smooth waterline tile. We'll put some pieces of that on the steps and benches to accent their location.

Decking
Approximately 460 square feet of decking is being poured. They will remove and resurface the existing patio concrete overlay (it's delaminating) and do a uniform textured kool deck with some accent colors flaked in to match the house and such.
#3 steel reinforcing on 18" centers. The new backfill behind the new retaining wall under the newly poured deck will be compacted fill and base. 4" deck drains as needed to tie into roof gutters and empty to lake.

Coping
1/4" Poly void expansion joint installed behind coping & caulk sealed with connectino grade self-levleing liquid caulk. Coping will be colored precast (looks a bit like travertine) and will be used for the retaining wall cap as well. Stone veneer to match house to be used on retaining wall and the three 18" x 18" x 18" fountains.

Electrical & Equipment
Pre-cast equipment pad on west side of house with stone wall for sound deflection from neighbor's porch.
Easy Touch 8P
1x Intellibrite 5G (north wall)
1x Colorcascade bubbler (in shelf)
Intelliflow V.S.
M4 Robotic Cleaner
Junction box with outlets added near extended patio
Step lights on stairs in retaining wall
FNS DE 60sq.ft.
Rainbow In-Line Chlorine Feeder

Plumbing
Schedule 40 PVC with separate 2" suction lines
4 returns
2 main drains with Hydrostat
Up-Sized manifold to balance the 3 sheer decents

Excavation
Remove the old retaining wall, sidewalk, and steps.
ASTM Grade 40 Steel
Entire shell will be #4 on 8" centers.
Gunnite 12" thick. Pool to be dug an extra 12" deep and an extra 18" gunnite shot. Sounds like overkill I know, but I'm very close to the lake bulkhead and we wanted a very solid footing for the pool.
Deck Dowels will be #3 on 30" centers.

Special Features
Tan Ledge ~8" deep
Umbrella sleeves in sheer decent columns
Gunite the new retaining wall 6-8" thick with #3 steel reinforcement 8" on center on stone veneer to match house.
2x submerged benches in the north-east and south-east corners of pool.

This shot shows the pool before we added some changes to the stairs and poured concrete patio where the planter was on the right, but it gets the idea across.

Here's the changes to the stairs.

Here's the changes to the poured patio instead of planter.

The overall 2D pool drawing is one iteration old, but the dimensions are pretty much the same.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Congrats!! Are you going ahead with the slide?

Nope. I just don't have enough pool to do it. I had to make peace with the fact that if I did too much it'd all be too cramped to enjoy. So I'm going for simpler.

Slurpee98:

Looks like you will have a really nice pool! Looking at your specs, I have only one question: Is your System Pump (Haywood TriStar) a single-speed or a 2-speed? If it is a single-speed, I would opt for a 2-speed. The cost differential for a comparable 2-speed will be minimal, but it will give you the benefit of ongoing electricity savings.

As for the slide, I have never slid down a mosaic slide. But it sure looks cool!

The Hayward Tristar is a VS pump I believe.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.