Backwashing

Jul 19, 2007
Katy, TX
We have a quad DE filter. The directions say to backwash filter when the psi gets to 10 above the start up number (hope that makes sense). Ours never does. It only moves 2-3 psi above. How often do most people backwash. I know this would depend on pool maintance but I have no clue when we should be doing this. Also, you know the "eye" things on the equiplment? What is that there for? Is it suppose to tell you something? Lord, I sound like a complete idiot. We just backwashed 2 eeks ago b/c our pool was hit with serious construction waste from a patio we put in. That eye ball is green now although my water looks okay and my numbers are all with in range. I have been seeing this yellow stuff on the walls of the pool which I thought might be pollen but I will post in the algea section. TIA!

The quad DE filter is a large filter and you have a reasonably sized pool so you won't need to backwash the filter very often. You should backwash/clean the filter at least once per year regardless.

What is the clean filter pressure?

By "eye" do you mean a clear section of pipe? There is usually a clear section of pipe that allows you to tell when it is time to stop backwashing.

I just took these:
June08032.jpg

This is what it typically stays at, a couple psi above the start.

This is the ye ball I was atlking about:
June08033.jpg

June08034.jpg

See how it is green? Like I said, we just backwashed a couple weeks ago. DH cleaned the filter about 6m ago. Thanks for all your help!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.