Chemical help on intex pool

Jun 30, 2013
MA
I was really hoping I could get some help. I am on year 2 on the intex 15x36 metal frame pool. Last year I had a huge green problem which after spending lots of money at the pool store it finally cleared. This year is not starting out so good either. I set up my pool a week ago and have been to the pool store everyday since having my water tested. We have only been able to go in the pool once due to my levels are always off. The only way I can keep a chlorine level is to super shock it and then add chlorine granules about an hour later. My pool is extremely cloudy right now. Yesterday they had me dilute 1/4 bottle of TPP ALG 25, dissolve 2lb of calcium, 3 hours later 1 bag super shock dissolved, 1 hour later 3/4oz chorine granules. All this was also done 1 week ago. Along with 2 other bags of shock they had me do throughout the week since my chlorine was still reading at 1 or below.
Now this morning I went out and tested it and my level all seem way to high. I used hth 6-way test strips.
Total Hardness: 200
Free Chlorine 10
PH 8.4 (could be higher. The colors only go up to that on the package)
Total Alkalinity 180
Cyanuric Acid 30-50
Everytime I turn around I have to spend more money on getting yet another chemical to fix my issues. I went out yesterday and bought a new filter hoping that would help the cloudiness since I was told the filter that comes with it really isn't good for the size pool I have. But again I came out this morning and it's just as cloudy as ever. I let the new filter run from 1pm-10pm yesterday. I would appreciate any advice I could get. Thank you!

Have you looked at the BBB method?
How about the Pool Calculator?

With common grocery store items you can take care of your pool; bleach, baking soda and borax. The only things that you may need that arent at the grocery store are often found at big box home improvement stores {cyanuric acid and muriatic acid}

After estimating your pool size at 4000 gallons and plugging your test numbers into www.poolcalculator.com , it calls for 8.6oz of muriatic acid.

I run my filter 24/7, although lately I have experimented with no filter other than the initial strainer and a knee-high stocking on the outlet jet.

You need to get in that pool, I am convinced that use is the best way to be sure the water is well mixed.

ob1quixote said:
You need to get in that pool, I am convinced that use is the best way to be sure the water is well mixed.

Whut? they just bought a new filter. That's what it's there for... to filter and move the water.

bricklady~ Welcome to TFP.

Read Pool School.

Read everything in Pool School several times as each time you read it, it will stick and start to make sense.

If you can swing it, you won't regret purchasing a new TF-100 test kit. It makes maintaining the water so much easier due to providing reliable test results for you and us if you need help (you kinda need help because you are here today) :-D We would love to help you understand. :goodjob: You can find a link to the test kit in my signature.

Here are some helpful links from Pool School to get you started.

ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry

Recommended Pool Chemicals

How to Chlorinate Your Pool

Chlorine CYA Chart

Test Kit Comparison

Recommended Levels

What is BBB?

Pool Calculator Instructions

Defeating Algae

Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparkling Oasis

Shocking Your Pool

Adding calcium to your pool is not needed. They are just basically stealing your money. Your CYA is at the point now you should not add anymore stabilizer or any dry chlorine at all. You are now on BLEACH. Yes, plain old Clorox bleach.

Your first problem, although it isn't contributing to your algae problem, is that your pH is too high. Bring it down with muriatic acid. poolcalculator.com will help you figure out how much to add.

Next, you are going to have to go through the shock process following these instructions:
pool-school/shocking_your_pool

You can win this battle. I had someone tell me just a few weeks ago that this is the first year they have not had to fight their pool. I helped them learn this method, got them to order a TF-100, and taught them how to take control of their pool. They told me a couple of weeks ago "Thank you" over and over because this is the first year they've ever had their pool available every single week. No more fighting algae or other odd water problems.

Casey said:
ob1quixote said:

Whut? they just bought a new filter. That's what it's there for... to filter and move the water.

Maybe I missed all the posts where Intex pumps are known for moving massive amounts of water and filtering it effectively?

They dont move massive amounts of water. That is why I suggested, and will continue to suggest, that use is the best way to ensure your chemicals are mixed in thoroughly.

ob1quixote said:
Casey said:
ob1quixote said:

Maybe I missed all the posts where Intex pumps are known for moving massive amounts of water and filtering it effectively?

They dont move massive amounts of water. That is why I suggested, and will continue to suggest, that use is the best way to ensure your chemicals are mixed in thoroughly.

brickladyt said:
My pool is extremely cloudy right now.

I just don't see getting into an extremely cloudy pool to mix chemicals as effective... but on the contrary, could be dangerous if user lets children do the mixing for him/her. That is just rediculous when you can purchase a pole and sweep the pool if filtration isn't up to par. :hammer:

ob1quixote said:
But seeing that it is an Intex, it isnt likely that the pump will power a robotic pool cleaner. Sure, brushing will help, but nothing mixes up the water like a few kids playing!

I'm sorry but you are out of your mind to even consider letting kids swim in a cloudy pool. I don't care if they can stand up in it. Let one suck in water and go under and you have yourself a disasterous, down right frightening and perhaps deadly situation on your hands looking for a child in a white, cloudy pool.

NO WAY IN HECK IS THIS SAFE!

I'm out...

It is 1 week old water, not a bubbling crock of algae.

It is probably cloudy because of the algaecide the pool store had suggested. I have no idea why they would suggest that for 1 week old water.

Oh, and at least in my pool, if a kid is in the pool, I and/or my wife is in the pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank you for all your help. I ended up going back to the pool store once again with a sample and according to there testing my levels were good. I actually left the store for the first time without having to spend a dime. They said sometimes the strips can make my levels look a little higher than the drops that they use. They told me unless my chlorine dropped dramatically today I wouldn't need to add any in tonight. As far as the cloudiness that does concern me but they said we were safe to go in. There explanation was the intex pool filters are not as good as a permanent pool filter so it can take a little longer to clear up. After going in you can no longer see the bottem of the pool I'm assuming from mixing it all up. I would like to learn more about the BBB method to try and save money since in the past week it's been open I have spent at least $200.00 on it. I will do as suggested and just keep reading the site over and over again.

A good test kit, the BBB method and the pool calculator are a great start. Read up on the Pool School and the total process of shocking the pool.

Soon you will have it down pat, and probably be able to correctly guess your daily chlorine needs! Just spend 5 or 10 minutes every day!

We will have to respectfully disagree on this ob1quixote.

bricklady,
Because strips are so unreliable, you would do well with a better test kit.

$200 in one week is obsurd. Look into the links I posted for you from Pool School.

So no more using the chlorine granules? Do I just dump straight bleach into the pool while the filter is running? Approximately how much bleach for 3282 gallon pool? Is that the only thing I would be adding in each day? What about the weekly shock? The new filter was also included in that $200. But yes I agree still ridiculous for just 1 week.

Straight unscented bleach! Yes, while the filter is running.

How much depends on your tests and current levels. Go to the pool calculator, enter the number of gallons in your pool, in the Suggested Goals section enter vinyl as your liner type, bleach as your chlorine source, and trouble free pools.com as your goal levels.

Then enter the test results into the 'Now' column and click on 'Calculate'!

It could also be contributing to your cloudiness.

Bleach is best. :goodjob:

I bought a Krystal Clear Model 635T Filter Pump. It was the next level up from what I had. Since my pool was already filled with water I couldn't put the new attachments with the jet things on it so they had me buy attachments so I could use the intake and outtake that is already on there.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.