What is the correct amount of Borax for a SWG 65000 litre pool?

Peggy L

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 20, 2012
Well I am really confused.

1. Having done the calculations on the pool calculator for a 65000 Litre pool it states I need to add 22.927 grams

2. using the forum here our calculations to get 12oz to 1000 gallons to get a reading of 10 our calculations was we needed 4.86kg to raise the value to 10. This would then be x by 5 to get a reading of Borax to 50.

3. Using the recommended value of 30-50ppm (30-50mgs/L) we for 65000 litre pool we worked out we required 3.25kgs for 50ppm or 1.95 kgs for 30ppm.

Which is the correct amount of Borax for a SWG 65000 litre pool?

Test today
PH 7.2
FC 5
Total Chlorine 5
CC 0
TA 75
CYA 25

I realise we need to get the CYA up and will be doing this. However would like to add
borax as its the beginning of
The season here in Spain and have lots of guests comming over in the next 10 weeks.

Many thanks,
PeggyL

Re: So you want to add borates to your pool--Why and How

Try checking the numbers in poolcalculator.com again. My 13500 gallon pool speed 477 oz for 30ppm.

My pool is at least 1/4 smaller than yours.

Sent via Tapatalk...

Re: What is the correct amount of Borax for a SWG 65000 litr

You should check your entries in the Pool Calculator. To raise borates by 50 in 65000 liters I get 28660 g of borax and 14246 ml of muriatic acid.

Hi Jason,

Thank you for your reply. I think their is a problem with the pool calculator when you use the Metric version. I don't understand the decimal point to get the correct volume. Therefore all the calculations are difficult to interperet. Also we don't have muriatic acid to lower the PH. I will look in the morning and give you the info regarding what we can get here in Spain. I think our PH - is possibly stronger than Muriatic acid?

Don't use PH Minus when adding borates. You only want to use muriatic acid. If that poses a problem, use boric acid instead of borax, which eliminates the need for any acid.

When using the Pool Calculator, do not use any periods or commas in your numbers, just digits.

I have been using the app for the calculations (from trouble free pool) It is definately much easier to use the calculator on here.

I have black algae in the grouting

Yesterday the TC was 5 with no cc's but as I had black algae growing in the grouting on the bottom of the pool I added a litre of strong bleach. Swept and cleaned the pool before adding the chlorine.
Today the pool looks cloudy TC 8.5 CC 0 FC 8.5 CYA 55 PH 7.5 Borate 30 Salt pool. Why is the pool cloudy with no cc?

Hi Peggy,
How strong is your bleach, and have you been using something else to gain FC? One liter isn't going to give 8.5 PPM FC even if it were 15%.

Without knowing more, you may be in the midst of an algae bloom.
Also, please add your pool data to your signature line. It helps us help you.

Peggy L said:
Why is the pool cloudy with no cc?
CC>0.5 is a great indicator of problems, but CC<0.5 in not a good indicator of a clean pool. There are many examples of pools with algae and no measurable CC.

I have looked at the bottle 170 grams per litre of active chlorine. Does that sound right? We have cleaned the pool this morning and the water is cloudy. I need to do some more tests as we used 4 litres of the above in last night.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Depending on the density of the product, that could be around 15% or higher chlorine so sounds about right for chlorinating liquid. It may not last very long (in the bottle) if the temperatures get warm.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.