Water not clearing, sand?, cya?

Etek14

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 6, 2008
I have had my above ground for several years and never had this problem, run my filter 24-7, with a chlorine level around 28+ and water never completly cleared. I drained half at the beginning of year but still had a cya of about 90+, the pool store guy (been in it for 30 years) said thats probably not the problem, could be the sand need cleaning with a detergent. I finally cut the pump off and went on vacation and have a nice mess. Wanting to cure the problem and start again, willing to drain the whole pool at this point. I have the tf100 kit and kept a close eye on it for a week at 28+ but never cleared. Any suggestions?

I have been using Trichlor instead of the BBB method as of late but it contains no additives

All trichlor contains CYA, so you're constantly increasing your CYA. If you're using that to maintain shock level you're adding it really fast. You say you have a TF-100. Use it to determine what your CYA is close to by diluting the test.

The sand may need cleaning and resettling with a water hose. There are instructions in pool school for doing that.

@Bama Rambler, pwrstrk, I assumed the 99% trichlor with 1% other meant no additional cya. Some say 40% other I think. Maybe that was the wrong assumption. If its not possible to do it with that I guess its back to BBB, In any case I think last year cya was around 80 and didn't have a problem like this but now 100-110(with tf100), I did hold my chlorine level 28+ for a week. I will check pool school and try the cleaning. I am now draining complete its such a mess.

Might be a good idea to start with a fresh fill and clear mind with only the chem's you need . Use our methods in pool school and this will not happen again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Etek14 said:
@Bama Rambler, pwrstrk, I assumed the 99% trichlor with 1% other meant no additional cya. Some say 40% other I think. Maybe that was the wrong assumption. If its not possible to do it with that I guess its back to BBB, In any case I think last year cya was around 80 and didn't have a problem like this but now 100-110(with tf100), I did hold my chlorine level 28+ for a week. I will check pool school and try the cleaning. I am now draining complete its such a mess.
The di-chlor is actually Sodium dichloroisocyanurate. It breaks down in water to release the chlorine and CYA. Every 10 ppm FC you add with trichlor also adds 6 ppm CYA. That 1% other is probaly clay or something they use to bind it nice.

Sand doesn't wear out, but it can get glued into chunks that crack and leave passageways. Third post describes the deep cleaning.

@Richard320, That explains it nicely and obviously cya is being added. Since I posted I have taken the top off the filter and wow, I will definately be doing a water hose in the sandfilter yearly from now on. Thanks a bunch guys

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.