Correct instructions for adding pH reducer...and then what?

I am getting totally confused about the correct way to add pH reducer to my pool.

These are my questions:

1. Do I dilute dry acid in water first?
2. Do I add the dry acid in the deep end, shallow end or evenly around the pool?
3. Do I add the dry acid with the pump running or off?
4. If the pump should be running, how long do I let it run for?
5. If the pump should be off, when do I put the pump back on? Is it minutes, hours or days?

My goal is to reduce pH and TA. My pH is 8.4 and my TA is 240+

6. Do I add the dose once a day?
7. When do I repeat the dose and do I let the pump run in between? Is it hours or days?

Thank you.

Re: Correct instructions for adding pH reducer...and then wh

cathandbrian said:
I am getting totally confused about the correct way to add pH reducer to my pool.

These are my questions:

1. Do I dilute dry acid in water first?

You can, but not required.

2. Do I add the dry acid in the deep end, shallow end or evenly around the pool?

Personal preference would be to broadcast evenly.

3. Do I add the dry acid with the pump running or off?

Definitely running. Always add your chemicals with pump running.

4. If the pump should be running, how long do I let it run for?

Best is to turn on pump 1/2 - 1 hour before testing, and wait 1/2 hour between differing chems.

5. If the pump should be off, when do I put the pump back on? Is it minutes, hours or days?

As stated above, running, and leave it on for at least an hour after treating your pool

My goal is to reduce pH and TA. My pH is 8.4 and my TA is 240+

See Pool School for more details.

6. Do I add the dose once a day?

You will need to dose several times a day, bringing your pH down to around 7.2, point a return to the surface or if you have a waterfall/fountain, turn that on. Idea is you need to aerate the water, which will bring the pH back up. Try to keep it between 7.2 and 7.6.

7. When do I repeat the dose and do I let the pump run in between? Is it hours or days?

While reducing TA you will need to run 24/7

Thank you.

Do you do your own testing? If so, with what?

Re: Correct instructions for adding pH reducer...and then wh

Most dry chemicals, including dry acid, are best pre-dissolved in a bucket and then poured slowly in front of a return with the pump running. Then leave the pump running for an hour afterwards.

Given your PH, this should be done soon.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.