sock method for stabilizer question

Jun 29, 2013
Ok, So my CYA is really low so I am adding it via the sock method (and tying this onto an empty bleach container) My question is can I still put my solar cover back on the pool with this floating? There are trees near the pool and if I dont put a cover it will be a mess when we go to swim. But I dont want to ruin the solar cover or mess with the stabilizer by putting it on if I shouldnt. I also have the floater with the chlorine tabs in it can I leave this in with the solar cover on?
Thanks for the help, this is our first summer with a pool and we are trying to get it all working well :) I thought I had it stabilized a couple weeks ago but my chlorine has been vanishing so I just did the CYA test again and it is very low, about 20 and it was registering 40. So that explains the loss of chlorine lately.

Welcome to TFP!

Where did this float a sock hanging from a bottle idea come from? That really isn't such a great idea. Hang the sock in front of a return jet where it will get some actual water flow passing over it.

Yes, you can use your solar cover while CYA is dissolving.

Welcome to TFP !

You should be putting the sock in front of the return with the pump running.

Are using the pucks all the time for your chlorine ? If you are they contain CYA. that's the prob with them. Their always adding CYA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

on a post somewhere here LOL. But it is staying by the skimmer because the pump is on and drawing it close. I will fix it so it is staying by the return at all times now. (I just put it in about 30 min ago)
Thank you for the quick reply!!!

I am using the 1inch pucks for chlorine but checking levels daily and using bleach when needed. My CYA is low so not sure they are adding enough CYA to matter? I have a pool that holds 4600 gallons so I am putting in 2 pucks at a time. Usually putting in new ones once a week. I was hoping they would help keep CYA up but with it dropped not sure they are? I am fixing the stabilizer sock and then will wait until mid/late next week and take a sample of water into a pool store to see about a very accurate reading. As of today my chlorine was at .5, my pH was 7.2, my alkalinity is at 110 and my CYA is at 20.

The pool store will not give an accurate test on your water. You should take a look at the test kits we suggest here.

Have you read pool school. If you haven't do yourself a favor and read it. Do yourself that favor.

We can teach you how to take control of your pool and not having the pool store control it !!

I am currently reading Pool School - havent read it all yet :) But working on it. Yes I need to get the free chlorine part of the test as now I am just working on combined chlorine. I know that is not good and thankfully have a good friend who recently recommended this site so I am trying to learn quickly. I appreciate all the wisdom on this site.

Good job. Keep reading and reading. Like I said we want you to be in control of your pool.

There are lots of very good people here so ask questions when you have them.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.