LED Pool Lights

trclac

Jul 24, 2009
Houston
We have a 17k gallon pool that was constructed in 2008. The pool has two lights, at either end, located about mid way between the pool surface and bottom. The lights are 500 watts each.

Recently, our neighbor had a pool built, and the builder installed multi-colored LED lights, with an equivalent light output of 400-500 watts (don't recall exactly). Now my wife wants the led lights for our pool, but we keep hearing that led bulbs cannot be placed in enclosed fixtures. That said, the fixtures are under the pool surface, and the enclosures handle 500 watt incandescent bulbs. So I can't imagine there would be an issue with LEDs in the enclosures.

Couple questions. Any idea if the led bulbs would be suitable for the type of fixtures typically installed in 2008? If so, any recommendations as to where to buy these things or the brand of bulb? As noted, she would like a 400-500 equivalent LED bulb that changes colors.

Thank you (this forum has been a lifesaver). :cheers:

Thanks for the links. From reviewing this on the Net, Pentair seems to be the way to go. But our pool contractor recommends the Jandy color LEDs. Does anyone know if one is better quality than the other? Our main concern is quality manufacturing. Btw, for the cost charged by both companies for these lights, I'm amazed that they only come with a 1 year warranty (which seems to be the case for both Jandy and Pentair).

Thanks!

ping said:
If you have the right light fixture, you could install one of these, http://www.poolsupplyworld.com/3greplacementbulbs.htm. I have Jandy lights so I can not use them. If you can use these, make sure you replace the gasket that seals the light.

Yeah these work great at about half the cost of installing a new fixture. I replaced my standard bulbs in both pool and spa with these LED units and the color schemes are awesome. It only took about 20 minutes to change them out. If you have the extra money to spend the Pentair or Hayward Colorlogic will give you a few more color combinations but thats about all.

Patrick in Fla

Do you have or are you planning to get an automation system? If so, compatibility with the system would be a major consideration. We chose the Jandy's because they are compatable with our iAqualink automation. I have no reason to think that the Pentair would not be of equal quality to the Jandy. My Pentair pump and filter seem to be well made and perform great.
Mike

Thanks. We have Jandy equipment all around (including a variable speed pump we just bought to replace our five year old 2HP pump), so I went with the Jandys. They have not yet been installed, but I am happy to hear about the automation feature.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I just installed these two led bulbs in my pool...
3e324c52841858c91e0cb92b828ca293.jpg

Is the interior surface of your dark or light. I have been ready that the LED lights do not look as good with the darker interiors.

Darker interiors require more lights. The Savi lights will do fine if your builder installs enough of them.

Since you're going with the EasyTouch control, be sure to request the P-Series lights so the controller can address the colors.

Take a look here: http://savilights.com/product-savi-melody-p.html

Edit: The Melody SOL series is apparently twice as bright as the Savi Melody, so that may be a better choice. http://savilights.com/product-melody-sol-p.html

My wife and I argued endlessly over regular lights and the Jandy Watercolor LED's. I argued that since we were building the pool we should do it right and do it the way we wanted. She balked at the cost but finally aquiesced. My wife is stubborn but she now admits it would have been a huge mistake not to put them in. My nieces and nephews were here last weekend and they stayed late enough for the lights to come on. They were so excited they begged their parents to stay a while longer which they did. I have never seen kids so excited. We put on a few different lights shows and they had a blast. It makes for a completely new swimming experience. Get them and enjoy!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.