Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Avatar 5KB not enough

1. Back To Top    #1

Avatar limit of 5KB is too low - any chance to bump that up to give people a little more creative options?
    IG built in 2007 - Gunite/ Plaster - Lake shape -29,000 Gallons w/ 8' spill over spa (raised)
    SWG - Hayward / Aquarite T-15 cell - Goldline/ Smart Controls (remote)
    AquaComfort Heat Pump (1500A) -Smart Quad Cartridge Filter
    Hayward Northstar filter pump (2HP) -Hayward Booster Pump (.75HP) -Hayward Super II Pump (1.5HP)
    Hayward Viper Auto Cleaner - Fiberoptic laminar patio fountains (3) -Located in New England with full sun

2. Back To Top    #2
    The owner and mods of this board agreed that we do not want to clutter the look of things with large or annoying avatars, or graphics in signatures, hence the limit!

8000 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, 12" sand filter (don't have the specs on the pump), TF100 test kit
    Handy Links: PoolMath, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool School, CYA-Chlorine Chart
    "Shock" is a process, not a product!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Avatar 5KB not enough

The pixel limit can stay the same while allowing an increase kb's. The avatars would not be any larger and graphics can still be banned from sigs.

I've been Admin on three boards running phpBB and it is an option. I just tried to upload a 100x66 pixel avatar but it was rejected because it was 9.11kb.

I do, however, repect the owner's right to run the board as he/she sees fit.
    "Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy." -B. Franklin

In-ground, vinyl lined, 20'x40', 3-10' deep, solar heater, sand filter, 3/4hp pump, Dolphin Pro, Cover Star Auto Cover.

A proud BBB convert.

4. Back To Top    #4

My avatar, which is fairly large and full of detail, is under 3K. Any graphics program which supports export to the web should be able to get your avatar down under 5K without any visible loss of detail.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

As Jason said, you can pretty easily edit the images for web use; however, I have gone ahead and increased the file size to 10kb and the max size to 120x120 pixels.

However, please remember, no animated avatars are allowed.
    TFP Founder

My Pool: 13K gal IG gunite with 7' spa, Pentair Cartridge Filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG, Polaris 280 Cleaner, TF-100 Test Kit w/ salt test.

6. Back To Top    #6

WOW.....Thanks!!!
    22,000gal IG, Lazy L, vinyl pool - 1.0 HP Pentair Whisterflo - DE filter - Blue Pearl Robotic cleaner - Glowbuoy - BBB only!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    My avatar, which is fairly large and full of detail, is under 3K. Any graphics program which supports export to the web should be able to get your avatar down under 5K without any visible loss of detail.
    Jason, any particular graphics program you like? I've tried exporting one to the web using Photoshop, and it didn't reduce the size much at all.
    24' x 52" AGP - approx 13,500 gallons
    Pentair Optiflo 1 hp/2sp pump w/ Swimpro Voyager 150 sq ft cartridge filter
    Intex 8110 SWCG
    "Fear the Schnauz!"

8. Back To Top    #8

I use Adobe Photoshop. Their export to the web using JPEG format gives you a tremendous amount of control over the file size. You may need to fiddle with the settings a little to find a good compromise between size and quality.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

I get a message for an avatar size between 0 and 9kb.
    steve

Above Ground / 18' Round / Vinyl Liner / Sand Filter / 100K Gas Heater / Salt Added / No Nature2

10. Back To Top    #10

I'm on a couple of message boards that, when you upload the pic you want as an avatar from your own hard drive (or a site like Photobucket), the site will adjust the size for you, for you to use on the board. Have you heard of that? Is that possible here?
    15' ROUND, 52" AG
    Newbie at pool ownership!

11. Back To Top    #11

That's not a feature, but I may create an avatar gallery for users to use pre-set avatars if they don't want to or have trouble uploading their own.

Resizing is a very simple task though. I use PS elements and it only takes a second. It also be done with MS Paint and virtually any other graphics software.
    TFP Founder

My Pool: 13K gal IG gunite with 7' spa, Pentair Cartridge Filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG, Polaris 280 Cleaner, TF-100 Test Kit w/ salt test.

12. Back To Top    #12

Irfanview, a freeware graphics program for windows, is excellent at resizing.