TFP recommended in July issue of The Costco Connection

Mike_W

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 24, 2011
Orange County, California
I was just looking through the current issue of Costco's magazine, The Costco Connection. They have an article about saving money by maintaining your own pool. The article starts off well enough by quoting a pool owner who says he has saved up to $1000 a year doing his own mainainance. The pool owner recommends the TFP website for it's forums and tutorials. Unfortunately, the article gets a bit iffy when it quotes the CEO of a pool maintenance company recommending algaecide and shock.
Hopefully, the magazines readers will give more value to the advice of the pool owner who saved money instead of the advice of the pool maintainece company who makes money selling chemicals.
Mike

My sister and family arrived from Chicago last night and she had clipped and brought with her the article from the Costco publication.

Our now famous (infamous?) JasonLion is the lead quote and we can all say we knew him back when... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Jason's post above points out just how far we've come in the last ten years. We're swimmin' upstream, too, because the established Pool Industry is not helped by the factual, common sense approach we have developed.

Viva la revolucion!! :cheers:

duraleigh said:
My sister and family arrived from Chicago last night and she had clipped and brought with her the article from the Costco publication.

Our now famous (infamous?) JasonLion is the lead quote and we can all say we knew him back when... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Jason's post above points out just how far we've come in the last ten years. We're swimmin' upstream, too, because the established Pool Industry is not helped by the factual, common sense approach we have developed.

Viva!!! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Another thought....

Publications are constantly on the lookout for stories with a different perspective and we certainly have one to tell. Those of you that don't mind the spotlight might contact your local paper to see if there is interest in our "alternative" story using the Grocery Store rather than the Pool Store.

Who knows? You and JasonLion may be rubbing shoulders with the "glitterati" before you know it. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

That is truly amazing. Wonder what further responses they will receive? Costco is responsible for selling LOTS of stabilized chlorine along with algaecide and stuff. Curious to know what else, if anything, their vendors will say.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
In my pre BBB days, Costco was were I got my Triclor tabs, they were by far the cheapest. Nice thing about Costco is that, since pool chemicals are probably not a big portion of thier bottom line and they do appear to be looking out for their members, they can afford to be more objective.
Mike

Overall I think it is good, too bad there is that trichlor paragraph, but the important thing is the saving money and link are at the beginning of the article, lots of people will stop reading after a couple of paragraphs. Also the side bar says to test pH, CL and CYA weekly and gives a acceptable range, while not exactly our suggestions it at least puts an upper limit on CYA at 70 ppm.

Ike

duraleigh said:

I guess I should have been able to figure out that it was our JasonLion from the name in the article, but I didn't. That helps explain why I'm an engineer and not a police detective.:)

Mike

duraleigh said:
Another thought....

Publications are constantly on the lookout for stories with a different perspective and we certainly have one to tell. Those of you that don't mind the spotlight might contact your local paper to see if there is interest in our "alternative" story using the Grocery Store rather than the Pool Store.

Who knows? You and JasonLion may be rubbing shoulders with the "glitterati" before you know it. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

duraleigh - I think you should think bigger. Why don't you contact Intex and get mentions in their manuals? You could even develop an Intex Test Kit that just has FAS-DPD, pH, and CYA (and maybe salt strips for the SWGers) for one season. To my knowledge Intex does not market chemicals or testing supplies, so it seems like a natural union - they should want people to learn to care for their pools so they don't just take them down and sell them cheap on craigslist after one season.

Or maybe Chlorox and TFP should explore hooking up.

crek31 said:
duraleigh said:
Another thought....

duraleigh - I think you should think bigger. Why don't you contact Intex and get mentions in their manuals? You could even develop an Intex Test Kit that just has FAS-DPD, pH, and CYA (and maybe salt strips for the SWGers) for one season. To my knowledge Intex does not market chemicals or testing supplies, so it seems like a natural union - they should want people to learn to care for their pools so they don't just take them down and sell them cheap on craigslist after one season.

Or maybe Chlorox and TFP should explore hooking up.

Not until they lower the price! :mrgreen:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.