confused and unsure how to proceed... remove cloudiness

Jun 29, 2013
Bethlehem, pa
Hi everyone, my name is George. I am new to the forum and excited to utilize everyone's knowledge and resources.

I feel like I'm really gaining a good grasp on what to do/when to do it and how to do it. I feel like I've been "pool stored" quite a few times and I'm tired of throwing away money.

I took a trip through the pool school and familiarized myself with the abc's of pool chemistry.

I'll try to be as thorough as possible but since this is my very first pool, I'm sure I will forget some things along the way.

First off, I have about a 22,000 gallon in-ground pool with a sand filter- made of plaster.

My recent water analysis came in as follows:
fc = .38
tc=.38
cc = 0

ph 7.3
hardness = 316ppm
alkalinity = 73 ppm
cya = 30 ppm

My issue has to deal with the cloudiness...

I know my current level of chlorine is down. I will bring that up. Prior to that dropping- my levels were good- chlorine was up and water was clearing up to where I could see the bottom- I vacuumed the pool and it's cloudy again and chlorine levels are low again.

I know I need to buy a tester- I will purchase one of the two recommended to me through this forum. Until then I will continue to drive to the pool store for their readings.

I just can't seem to get the cloudiness away. I have debris on the bottom of the pool that I allowed to get in while removing the cover. I'll be more careful next time. The larger debris is getting caught in the filter basket and I have been cleaning that regularly. However, the smaller debris is getting pushed around, causing more cloudiness. After extended time of vacuuming it seems as if the debris isn't being filtered and just enters the pool again through returns. or it's just getting pushed around.. and I have to wait for it to re-settle only to vacuum it again - in turn making it cloudy.

I have in the meantime added floc, added clarifier - prior to becoming a member here. I know these are frowned upon within the group and I prefer not to pay for them anyway, if I can naturally have sparkling water with your help.

I have had the pump running all day and night for almost 4 full weeks now.

My clean pressure gauge at the time I first ran the pump was approx 12 psi. I replaced the sand in the filter and now my clean water reading is closer to 18 psi. I've backwashed multiple times. Without a reduction in pressure.

I have many tiny white particles on the surface of the water that doesn't seem to filter either..

At this point, what the heck do I do? Could I have ruined something while replacing the sand? Is my pressure ok? Is it normal that I have the white stuff but it won't filter?

I know I need to be patient but I'm starting to run out of it...

Please help!

Was the sand you used pool filter sand? #20 or 21?
The first thing to do is get the FC up and don't let it get below the recommended level for your CYA.
With every thing you've added and not keeping the FC high enough, it's going to take a while for the cloudiness to go away.

You already know that you need a good test kit so go ahead and get one ordered. Once you get it, post a full set of test results.

Welcome! :wave:

For right now, you need to raise the FC to at least 5. Every day. You have absolutely no way of testing it? How was it even possible to dose it daily without even a cheap 2 way kit? :scratch:

Once you have accurate trustworthy readings, the course of action will be easier to plot.

Thank you!

The sand I used is #20, I believe.

I was using test strips as well as another test kit with the drops. They weren't too helpful or old me the exact "parts per million" for each test type.

Every other day I was running to the pool store for a sample. I realize now I need to test everyday..

On Thursday, I had an FC reading of 2.78 & TC of 3.14. Pool store said to add a pound of shock. I did add the shoclk BUT then we had a pretty bad rainfall. I have since kept up with the tablets but that is about it.

I'm going to order a test kit now. Is there a recommended site to purchase test kits from?

I'm going to search for best ways to bring up the FC level immediately.

Dachamp312 said:
Just so I understand what I'm reading- using the pool calculator-

I need to add 211 oz. of 6% bleach. Is this correct?

See the attached screenshot- I used the pool calculator.
Yes, except most bleach is now 8.25%. The ounces work out right, but not the number of jugs.

To buy the best test kit: http://tftestkits.net I'd recommend the TF100 with the XL option so you don't have to scramble to order refills so soon. No one who has a speedstir regrets buying one, either.

Dachamp312 said:
Awesome- test kit is ordered and out of the way.

I'm heading out to purchase the bleach now. Do I just pour it in and around the pool? Do I pour it directly into the skimmer?

After I do that. Can I continue to vacuum? Can I enter the pool?
Pour liquids into the return stream in the pool.

If you're vacuuming to filter, sure. If it's to waste, why add bleach only to dump it out?

I'm a pool snob now; I don't get in cloudy pools. But if pH and FC are acceptable and you can see the bottom of the pool, well....people have swum in worse.

Thanks for all of your input Richard!

Bleach is in- FC should be up. I'll continue to vacuum (not to waste). I'll re-test tomorrow and post results.
Hopefully I receive my kit soon so I could familiarize myself with it.

Thank you again- you've helped restore some faith- I was starting to believe I was fighting a never ending battle with my pool!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.