Lower TA?

Apr 5, 2011
Springfield, MO
Plaster pool with SWG. Pool is 2 yrs old.

Last year, pH was a little volatile. Always creeping up. pH seems more stable this year.

Need to raise CH. Currently 150. I know I need to get this up to around 300.

Had flow problems with SWG last year due to calcium build up. Had to acid wash SWG at the beginning of pool season this year.

TA has always been high (120-140). Currently 140.

My question - do I need to lower TA to 60-80 range?

In pool school:
Water balance for SWG page suggests it's important to have TA in range of 60-80.

However, on "Lower TA page", says that TA shouldn't be lowered for a target number. As above, pH has been relatively stable this year. Via poolcalculator.com, CSI is -0.01 which is within range. However, did have calcium build up in SWG.

So, lower TA or no?

One other question:
Added powder CYA to skimmer sock 2 days ago. Dissolved now. Read on pool school not to measure CYA for 1 week. If I measure CYA now, is the measurement accurate being CYA dissolved from skimmer? Or do I really need to wait 1 week?

Thanks in advance for the help.
Chad

cpotter638 said:
Plaster pool with SWG. Pool is 2 yrs old.

Last year, pH was a little volatile. Always creeping up. pH seems more stable this year.

Need to raise CH. Currently 150. I know I need to get this up to around 300.

Had flow problems with SWG last year due to calcium build up. Had to acid wash SWG at the beginning of pool season this year.

TA has always been high (120-140). Currently 140.

My question - do I need to lower TA to 60-80 range?

In pool school:
Water balance for SWG page suggests it's important to have TA in range of 60-80.

However, on "Lower TA page", says that TA shouldn't be lowered for a target number. As above, pH has been relatively stable this year. Via poolcalculator.com, CSI is -0.01 which is within range. However, did have calcium build up in SWG. Both are true. Many people attack TA for no reason except that it shows out of the ideal range. In your case, you have a valid reason - the pH climbs too fast.

So, lower TA or no? I'd say yes.

One other question:
Added powder CYA to skimmer sock 2 days ago. Dissolved now. Read on pool school not to measure CYA for 1 week. If I measure CYA now, is the measurement accurate being CYA dissolved from skimmer? Or do I really need to wait 1 week? Assume it's there, and adjust FC to the target CYA level. But don't waste reagent testing for it yet.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Chad

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.