New SWG, conflicting advice about CYA

There is no need to worry about CC when it is 0.5 or lower.

I prefer TA around 60-80 for a SWG, but a little higher than that is not usually a big deal. As long as you don't have problems with rapidly rising PH you can let the TA level drift down at it's own pace. Now, if the TA level was 200 or 300, then you would want to do something about it right away

Just for the record, I'm not a chemist, don't have a PhD in chemistry, don't work in the pool/spa or even chemical industry. I majored in physics and chemistry at Cal Berkeley (they didn't allow for a double major due to too many overlapping course requirements so technically it's a field major in physical sciences), but ended up working in computer software development/management. I do have an (obviously) strong interest in pool water chemistry ever since I ran into problems using Trichlor in my own pool 4-5 years ago and got virtually no qualified help from the pool store.

Richard,

For the record, I wouldn't call myself a physicist either! (My husband thinks I should have written "degree" instead of Ph.D) :oops: Two weeks after I handed my thesis into the library, I gave birth to twin boys and I've been a stay at home mother ever since! Anyways, I bow down to your advanced understanding of pool water chemistry as I'm sure everyone else here does! (post graduate degree or not).

Alison

There is no need to worry about CC when it is 0.5 or lower.

I prefer TA around 60-80 for a SWG, but a little higher than that is not usually a big deal. As long as you don't have problems with rapidly rising PH you can let the TA level drift down at it's own pace. Now, if the TA level was 200 or 300, then you would want to do something about it right away

My pH has been rock solid at 7.6. I was expecting it to creep up given every thing I've read here and the fact that I've got air bubbles coming out of my return jets (haven't quite nailed down the cause yet).

Even though my CC is only 0.2 (slight pink tinge disappeared completely with 1 drop), I do have what appears to be a small amount of algae in the mouth of the skimmer. I noticed it a few weeks ago and it hasn't changed in appearance since then.

Should I shock anyways before I add more stabilizer, to save on bleach? i.e. is this going to be a bigger problem eventually and should I take care of it sooner rather than later?

The water's been amazingly clear, so I was waiting until I got my test kit before I attacked the algae.

Alison

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.