Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Repair or Replace Sand Filter

1. Back To Top    #1

Repair or Replace Sand Filter

I need some advice. I just opened my Hayward sand filter to clean it out and found the center pipe of the lateral assembly busted. I am not sure how but I guess that does not matter at this point.

What I need advice on is should I repair the sand filter, that is over 14 years old, or should I look for a replacement.

Thanks
    Pete in San Antonio
    11K IG Gunite/325 Serires Hayward cartridge

2. Back To Top    #2

We replaced our pump and filter this year. We did both on line for about $600.

Last year we had our pump repaired to the tune of $200+. In other words, we probably should had replaced it last year.

I suggest really looking around. I know we got the pump on e-bay cheaper than from the online store - and it was the SAME vendor!

We got our filter from H2O pool products for about $270. Delivered. I don't know if the repair will be worth it...
    16 X 34 21,000 IG Vinyl Liner
    1 1/2 Hayward SuperPump
    New Sand Filter (had cartridge - hated them)

3. Back To Top    #3
    If the filter is otherwise fine, no obvious corrosion or other broken parts, and the parts are available, then it is simpler and cheaper to fix it rather than replace it.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the replies. I was not sure of the life of a sand filter so I figured this is the best place to get the answer.
    Pete in San Antonio
    11K IG Gunite/325 Serires Hayward cartridge