How long can I go before not adding anything to new pool wat

I began filling the pool on Thursday. Sand and SWG combo is installed and working great. Got about 70% full and stopped. I ordered the Hayward Skimmer which I hopes arrives today. Heavy rain last night added about an ionch and a half of water. I'll probably need to empty some water so I haven't done anything. My plan is once the inwall skimmer is in, add salt, CYA, etc.

Say I don't get the skimmer in until tonight or if it doesn't arrive until Monday, would you be adding bleach now to prevent and negatives? For 3900 gallons, how much blewch would you add in the short-term?

Water testing gave a FC of .5 and TC of .5 so a CC of zero?

PH is 7.8.

Re: How long can I go before not adding anything to new pool

Yes get some bleach in there now !! Then get some CYA in there. Can you get in the pool to mix the chlorine around a bit ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Richard320 said:
Get some bleach in there and mix it up with the pool brush. It's a lot easier to keep algae from starting than it is to get rid of it.

Get "some bleach" in there now? I'll search the site for an answer, but is that a quart, 1/2 gallon, gallon, ??? for this initial stabilization, non-shock? 3800 or so gallons of water.

CYA - put a 1/4 or 1/2 lb of CYA in to also help initially?

My skimmer might have just arrived so I might be doing the skimmer install this afternoon and may not want the CYA and a lot of bleach in just yet since I might be taking some water out.

Backyard Luddite said:
Richard320 said:
Get some bleach in there and mix it up with the pool brush. It's a lot easier to keep algae from starting than it is to get rid of it.

Get "some bleach" in there now? I'll search the site for an answer, but is that a quart, 1/2 gallon, gallon, ??? for this initial stabilization, non-shock? 3800 or so gallons of water.

CYA - put a 1/4 or 1/2 lb of CYA in to also help initially?

My skimmer might have just arrived so I might be doing the skimmer install this afternoon and may not want the CYA and a lot of bleach in just yet since I might be taking some water out.
Zero CYA means target FC is 1 to 3. http://www.poolcalculator.com/ can crunch the numbers and tell you how much that is for each source of chlorine - whether it's 6%, 12%, dichlor, trichlor...

Day 11: Water testing (with new Taylor Test Kit) still gives a FC of .5 and TC of .5 so a CC of zero. TA was 70.

I waited to add salt and CYA because I was hard plumbing and adding a skimmer (great results after lots of frustration!!! I'll post pics later.

Following advice from both Richard320 and pwrstrk I added bleach last weekend. 24 ounces of CHEAP bleach - doesn't even list the concentration. Daily water testing has always given an FC of .5 a TC of .5 so a CC of zero.

Yesterday morning I added 80 lbs. of pool salt and 3/4 lb. of CYA (using the sock tied to the return outlet). Sand filter pump has been running for 24 hours in the FP mode - without the SWG turned on. Still seeing no change in the FC (.5) last night I added 24 oz. of the cheap bleach. The new Taylor Test Kit said it included the tube with the black spot but it isn't in the kit. Will call about that tomorrow. Bottom Line - I can't test for CYA yet so I'm staying on the low side. Will add the other 1/4 lb. of CYA once I can test accurately.

This morning's reading still gives a FC of .5 and TC of .5 so a CC of zero. I even tried an old cheap pool water test kit and the FC was less than .6. PH has dropped from is 7.8 last week to 7.2 now. TA has been a constant 70.

While shopping for more bleach today I found Clorox Pro Results Outdoor concentrate (120 oz. = 180 oz. of other bleach) but doesn't list a 6 or 12% number that appears in the Pool Calculator. I did see another bleach that had 8.9% listed under the active ingredient section.

Frustrated because I don't want to keep adding bleach unless I have to (thinking I might get a tremendous spike) and I don't want to turn on the SWG until the water is balanced. In total I've added 48 oz. of cheap bleach in 11 days.

Backyard Luddite said:
While shopping for more bleach today I found Clorox Pro Results Outdoor concentrate (120 oz. = 180 oz. of other bleach) but doesn't list a 6 or 12% number that appears in the Pool Calculator. I did see another bleach that had 8.9% listed under the active ingredient section.

Frustrated because I don't want to keep adding bleach unless I have to (thinking I might get a tremendous spike) and I don't want to turn on the SWG until the water is balanced. In total I've added 48 oz. of cheap bleach in 11 days.
NO!!!

That has detergents and will cloud the water!!
just-dumb-wrong-type-of-bleach-cloudy-water-t64111.html

Richard320 said:
Backyard Luddite said:

NO!!!

That has detergents and will cloud the water!!
just-dumb-wrong-type-of-bleach-cloudy-water-t64111.html

THANKS!!!
Should I just keep adding 24 oz. of the cheap stuff a day until I see any changes in the FC?
Lets say tomorrow morning my testing shows another .5. I could add 24 oz. again until I get a 1. That way if my FC goes to 1.5 ( a full increase of 1) I would maybe add just 12 oz. more to get to a 2. And then try 12 oz. more to get to a 2.5 until I get to 3.

I would dial it back as soon as I see the FC changing and getting an idea what type of change 12, 24, or 36 oz. might generate. It's just strange that the Pool Calculator suggests adding 20 oz. of 6% bleach (I'm thinking 6% is the cheap stuff in a 128 oz. bottle) to go from .5 to 3 and I'm stuck on .5 after adding 24 oz. a week ago and 24 oz. again last night - can't get the FC to increase at all.

Backyard Luddite said:
Should I just keep adding 24 oz. of the cheap stuff a day until I see any changes in the FC?
Lets say tomorrow morning my testing shows another .5. I could add 24 oz. again until I get a 1. That way if my FC goes to 1.5 ( a full increase of 1) I would maybe add just 12 oz. more to get to a 2. And then try 12 oz. more to get to a 2.5 until I get to 3.

I would dial it back as soon as I see the FC changing and getting an idea what type of change 12, 24, or 36 oz. might generate. It's just strange that the Pool Calculator suggests adding 20 oz. of 6% bleach (I'm thinking 6% is the cheap stuff in a 128 oz. bottle) to go from .5 to 3 and I'm stuck on .5 after adding 24 oz. a week ago and 24 oz. again last night - can't get the FC to increase at all.
Let's step back and review the situation..

Do you have a test kit yet? It sounds like you have something if you're measuring FC. Can you post a full set of results? What have you added besides bleach? Is the salt dissolved?

Also note that bleach is a consumable - it's not like stabilizer or salt where it stays fairly consistent unless some sort of catastrophe empties out half the pool. Bleach needs to be added daily.

Richard320 said:
Backyard Luddite said:

Let's step back and review the situation..

Do you have a test kit yet? It sounds like you have something if you're measuring FC. Can you post a full set of results? What have you added besides bleach? Is the salt dissolved?

Also note that bleach is a consumable - it's not like stabilizer or salt where it stays fairly consistent unless some sort of catastrophe empties out half the pool. Bleach needs to be added daily.

I'm using a Taylor test kit.

On Saturday (7/6), after I finally got the skimmer in and everything hard plumbed, I began adding 40 lbs. of salt by adding a pound or two of salt at a time to a 5-gallon bucket, stirring, and then dispersing throughout the pool. I never saw any granules on the bottom of the pool. I also added 3/4 of a pound of CYA with a nylon sock tied near the return inlet. Yesterday, I added the other 40 lbs. of salt the same way for a total of 80 lbs. Filter was run on FP (non-SWG setting) for 24 hours. A few days ago a very slight film could be felt on the vinyl below the water line so I completely brushed the entire pool yesterday. Water has never discolored since it was first added on June 27th and looks great.

My combined Sand and SWG will be used to maintain chlorine levels. I haven't turned on the SWG yet because I wanted to get the water balanced first (mainly raise the FC so I wouldn't overwork the SWG initially).

I'm using 101 Regular Bleach. It's not labeled but a web search has it between 3 and 3.5%. That's why I may not be increasing my FC. Pool School mentions lower level percentages of bleach then the standard 6% or 12% figures it uses. To raise FC from .5 to 3, Pool Calculator suggests 41 oz. of 3% bleach or 36 oz. of 3.5% bleach. I've added a total of 48 oz. of the 101 Regular bleach in two amounts [I added 24 oz. of bleach on 6/29 and 24 oz. on 7/6] My FC has never moved from .5. Now that I've added CYA, my FC amounts should be even higher (4 or 5). I can't test CYA yet because I didn't get the vial with the black dot in my Taylor Test Kit - I'm working on getting that vial. Since chlorine is a consumable as you write, maybe I just need to add more bleach (since I've only added bleach twice in 12 days and my FC has never gone above .5) to get my FC above 3 so I can start using my SWG.

Water testing this morning remains at a FC of .5, a TC of .5 -- so a CC of zero. I even used an older test kit and got the same FC of .5, a TC of .5, a CC of zero.
PH has been at 7.2 for a few days (was 7.5 on 7/5)
TA at 70 (constant)
CH at 1000 (Water has consistently tested at a CH of 1000 for the last 4 days [1st CH test was 7/5] so maybe we just have hard water. Its an Intex Ultra Frame pool so CH doesn't matter that much but just wanted to mention our CH was at a 1000.

I've been using the Intex Pool Tables to come up with approx. 3800 gallons (they don't list a 14' x 42", but they have a 15' x 42" circular metal frame pool at 3861 gallons. Now that I added an in wall skimmer (top screws were mounted above the seam to preserve more water depth) I might want to go with the Pool calculator estimates of 4000 gallons.
Estimating pool volume: A 14 wide by 42" deep round (ignores length) pool holds 4000 gallons.

I hope this provides the total picture. How much bleach would you add tonight and what do you think about my CH level? Thanks for reading and your suggestions.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

If you added 3/4 pound of stabilizer that should bring your CYA levels to maybe 30. If thats the case your correct. You would need to add 41oz of 3% to bring the FC level to a 3. But if it appears that the chlorine is being consumed by organics. You probably need to shock the water until you pass the overnight test. At least get your FC level back up until one of the pros here can give some advice.

Bleach is destroyed by sunlight and when it attacks organic compounds. You need to be adding bleach every day. Test the water first to find out where your FC is, if it is below your target value, add enough bleach to bring it up to the target range, test again after about half and hour to an hour (with the pump running) to make sure you are at your target level. At this point, you have gone without bleach for so long that you will need to go through the shock process (not a product, a process) in a nutshell, you will need to test your water often (every few hours is best) and add enough bleach to keep you FC above the shock level. (which is 12 for a CYA level of 30) your normal range should be between 2 and 4. 2 being the minimum and 4 being your target level.

I could shock the pool but I was hoping to do it the BBB way.

I will be able to test CYA tomorrow after the vial with the black dot in my Taylor Test Kit arrives - it was left out of my original order. Depending on the CYA results, I'll plan to add bleach tomorrow night. It rained again today and it was cloudy most of the rest of the day. We've had a lot of rain (abnormally so) in Virginia this spring/summer.

I did purchase 1 lb. of Super Shock-it 73 when buying the pool salt and sand. I decided not to use it after reading about the bleach option to get my water balanced prior to turning on my SWG. But I'm certainly able to just dump the Super Shock in if you all think that is best and stop monkeying around with the bleach. The other option since my FC remains at .5 (never risen above it) is to test tomorrow and add a larger dose of the 3% bleach. Test daily and repeat the bleach option again depending on results until the water gets balanced and the SWG is activated.

Somebody hasn't been reading Pool School. :grrrr:

The shock process IS part of BBB. It is not a one-time liner-bleaching mega-dose, nor is it a powder you buy. I think before you ask anything else, you ought to spend a while in Pool School so you understand the terms we're using.

You need to treat you pool like the family pet. If you want your pool to be a good pet, you need to feed it every day.

I feed my pool 8.25% bleach every night. It tells me how much it "ate" when I test each night. Just like when I look at my dog's food bowl to see how much she ate last night, I test to see how much it ate/used keeping the pool clean. After I test, I measure the correct amount of bleach and our it into my pool while it is pumping. This needs to happen everyday.

If the pool gets mad, I need to start the shock process where I feed it extra everyday until it behaves and the algae goes away. Again, this is based on the testing.

Can you take a photo of your Taylor test kit? It may not have the correct tests for what people here are asking for.

Richard320 said:
Somebody hasn't been reading Pool School. :grrrr:

The shock process IS part of BBB. It is not a one-time liner-bleaching mega-dose, nor is it a powder you buy. I think before you ask anything else, you ought to spend a while in Pool School so you understand the terms we're using.

I've been trying to follow the Water Balance for SWGs section of Pool School:

These water balance tips for SWGs will help you maintain your salt pool with the fewest problems. If you follow them you will probably never need to shock your pool and you will maintain a more stable pH then if you go outside of these limits. They might not agree exactly with the manufacturer's recommended levels but they WORK and will help you have a Trouble Free Salt Pool!

First step is to adjust salt to the manufacturer's recommended range (usually around 3000-3200 ppm but some models do need a higher level. Check your manual.) Starting out slightly higher (200-400 ppm) than the ideal level is recommended, since the salt level will tend to fall over time.
> I added 80 lbs. of pool salt based on Intex table.

Second adjust CYA to between 70 and 80. The biggest mistake that many SWG owners make is NOT having enough CYA in the water! This can create a lot of problems like high acid demand, algae outbreaks, cloudy water, or early cell failure.
> I added 3/4 of a lb. of CYA (1 lb. recommended, but the Taylor Test kit was sent without the black dot vial (freak occurrence from Taylor) so I put in less so I could test for CYA appropriately and add accordingly.

Adjust the SWG percentage setting or run time so your FC level stays between 3-5 ppm. Early evening is the best time to measure the FC level when adjusting the SWG percentage. If the SWG is running at 100% and it still does not maintain a high enough FC level, you need to increase the pump run time.
> I've never been able to get the FC above .5. Obviously I should have put more bleach in - especially after I realized my bleach was only 3%. I'll be adding more bleach.

There are some advantages to running the SWG during the day while the sun is shining on the pool. Unless there is some other reason not to run the pump during the day, like time of day electric rates that are higher during the day, program the pump to run while the sun is shining on the pool.
> I hope to start running SWG on Wednesday after water is balanced.

Adjust your Total Alkalinity to 60-80 ppm. (This is IMPORTANT!)
> My TA has consistently tested out at 70.

Adjust your pH to 7.5-7.6 and not any lower. Monitor your pH and when it climbs to 7.8 add acid to lower it back to 7.5-7.6 (This is also IMPORTANT!)
> My PH has consistently tested out between 7.5 and 7.2 (7.2 for the last few days).

Adjust Calcium Hardness to 300 ppm for plaster and 250 ppm for fiberglass. Vinyl pools are OK if the CH is at 50 ppm or higher. In any case it should not be much above 400 ppm or you are going to have to keep close watch on your pH to prevent scale buildup. Sometimes your fill water will have high calcium levels so your numbers are higher than recommended. Not really that big an issue if you maintain your pH as recommended above. pH rise is the ONE FACTOR that will predict scaling condition. High pH leads to scaling, period! Keep pH below 8.0!
> I have an Intex Ultra Frame (vinyl) pool. My CH has been tested each day for 3 days and has been 1000 (10 drops) every day. Why is it so high? I don't think I'll have scale buildup with a vinyl pool, but why would cause the CH to be 1000?

Finally, optionally adding borates to your water in a 30-50 ppm concentration will help with pH stability with a SWG, particularly when the TA is run in the 60-80 ppm range and pH is kept between 7.5-7.8 but can be useful even if you go out of this range somewhat. There are several borate products on the market--Supreme Plus, Optimizer, Maximizer, Endure, and 20 Mule Team Borax. You can buy the last one at the grocery store in the Laundry Aisle. If you don't know how to use borates read this article on adding borates or just start a thread asking for info on how to do it.
> I have not used Borates or tested for them yet.

> My understanding with the word "Shock" was the powder chemical you get from pool supplies stores and that it should only be used for initial setup if necessary and for emergencies (return from vacation to a green pool) --- if the water was originally balanced and maintained properly. Since I began filling the pool I've had crystal blue water and only a slight film on the vinyl sides of the pool which I brushed away yesterday. I was trying to first do no harm by taking the minimalist approach. Having not used bleach like this before and having a young child I was taking the slow approach (avoid adding too much bleach or Shock powder unless necessary. Now that I know I'm using 3%, and not 6% or 12% bleach, I'll start adding more bleach and keep the "Shock" in case of emergencies. I was just trying to get your opinion on how much 3% to add if I hen't gotten the FC to move at all on two separate additions of 24 ounces. It would have made some sense if the FC had moved to 1 and I would know to obviously add more, but without any increase in FC at all I thought something else might be happening.

techguy said:
You need to treat you pool like the family pet. If you want your pool to be a good pet, you need to feed it every day.

I feed my pool 8.25% bleach every night. It tells me how much it "ate" when I test each night. Just like when I look at my dog's food bowl to see how much she ate last night, I test to see how much it ate/used keeping the pool clean. After I test, I measure the correct amount of bleach and our it into my pool while it is pumping. This needs to happen everyday.

If the pool gets mad, I need to start the shock process where I feed it extra everyday until it behaves and the algae goes away. Again, this is based on the testing.

Can you take a photo of your Taylor test kit? It may not have the correct tests for what people here are asking for.

I bought the Sand and SWG combo because I didn't want to use a lot of bleach. I know that I have to use a lot of bleach initially in order to get the water balanced so the SWG can take over. My Taylor Test kit was sent without the black dot vial (freak occurrence from Taylor). My vial should arrive tomorrow.

PridgNYC said:
In my Taylor K-2006, the CYA vial is attached to Color comparator for pH, it is the smaller vial. Are you saying you didn't get any vials? Or did you not get the K-2006 kit?

Yes I didn't get the smaller vial with my test kit (Taylor K-1005). They apologized and already sent it out - should arrive tomorrow. I ordered this kit before learning about the TFP site. A friend suggested I get the smaller kit since reagents don't last more than a year and I was setting my pool up late. I plan to order the K-2006 next season. A little surprised Intex didn't supply some CYA test strips with the Sand & SWG combo filter since they supplied strips for 4 other tests.

Actually the first step is to get your pool balanced before turning on your SWG. This includes maintaining the proper levels of clorine in the pool using just bleach. SWG's are designed to maintain your chlorine level, not bring it up from 0, so it is important to get your water balanced to chlorine standards first, then switch the SWG on and adjust it to maintain the levels, using bleach to supplement if your FC levels drop too low. Once everything is dialed in, and relatively stable and predictable, you can start to relax. In the initial stages of setting the pool up, it is best if you are testing twice a day, in the evening after the sun sets and early morning (preferably before the sun hits the pool) Anytime your FC is below the minimum level, add enough bleach to reach the target level. If you are at minimum, raise it to target. Keep track of what your levels are and you'll be able to check the health of your pool. You should lose less than 1 ppm overnight, CC should always be .5 or less. Daily loss will depend on sunlight, bather load and water temperature. After a few days of testing and adjusting you should have a good feel for how much chlorine your pool needs to be fed every day, and this will help when you turn on the SWG and start adjusting its output.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.