New pool owner with test results

Jun 27, 2013
Troy, MI
I just received my TF100 Test Kit and followed the test instructions on the card. I must have missed the pH test.

Here is what I got-

FC=1ppm
CC=.5ppm
TC=1.5PPM
TA=80
CH=160
CYA=>100 (It didn't even get high enough in the tube to register

I know the previous owner of the pool added 6 of the pucks to the chlorine generator every Saturday. Based on my limited reading here and pool school, that is why the CYA is off the charts, right? What should I do to start? Do I really need to replace 60% of my water as the pool calculator says?

Thanks for any help because I have only been a pool owner for 2 weeks

Welcome to the forum!

Unfortunately, yes. Maintaining the pool with a CYA over 100 (and who knows how high it is over 100) is pretty much impossible. You may want to try the dilution method to get a better idea of exactly how high you are above 100. Mix half and half pool water and tap water, then run the test with that mixture. Multiply your result by 2. That will get you closer to the actual amount of water you will have to drain.

How does the water look?

Welcome to TFP !! Yes. The only way to get the CYA down is to replace some water. That high of a CYA is going to be hard to manage your FC. I would get it to the 30-50 ppm level

Just my 0.02.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

First of all, I can't tell you how nice it is for a new pool owner on his first post to include VALID test results. It makes it so much easier to help.

The Bad news now is that, yes, we will ask you to replace some water. Water is cheaper than most people realize seeming to average about $5/1000 gallons in most areas. hope yours is down around that price.

And, yes, that is exactly why your CYA is so high....those pucks.

So, with CYA that high you need to maintain your FC up around 7-12 ppm to keep your pool sanitary at all times. It can be done but it almost unmanageable that high and, if you have to shock, you will need about 40 ppm chlorine. Yikes!

If it was my pool, I would immediately elevate the FC to up around 10 ppm and plan on keep it there until you can start a series of drain refills to get the CYA down. If you do 1/3 of your pool twice you will be in good shape the rest of the swim season and can start keeping your FC around 4-6 ppm which is much easier and much less expensive.

Tell us how your water looks?

I've never worked on the filter or anything yet, so I guess I will have to figure it out. Is there anywhere I can read about the correct way to backwash my sand filter, clean my pump, and drain water correctly so I son't mess anything up?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
swoop19 said:
I've never worked on the filter or anything yet, so I guess I will have to figure it out. Is there anywhere I can read about the correct way to backwash my sand filter, clean my pump, and drain water correctly so I son't mess anything up?
http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/cleaning%20pool%20filters

There's also a bunch of how-to videos on youtube.

I just drained roughly 1/4 of the pool and I am refilling as we speak.

What should I do next?

Should I wait until full and completely retest or should I get some bleach in there right away?

Also, Which number do I need to get correct first? my PH, my CYA, my FC?

I rechecked the CYA again and it was still off the chart, so I did it again diluted 50% (roughly) with tap water. I got a reading of 90 which I then doubled to get 180. That is not good.

I'm assuming I need to drain a lot more water and replace, right? How much can I safely drain without worrying about the liner?

If the answer is 1/3, how do you tell what that is? my pool is 16 x 32 and goes from 3 to 5.5 feet deep.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.