How to read tests

Jun 28, 2013
Huntsville, TX
Brand new here. I just need to be pointed in the right direction. How can I figure up chlorine levels when they go beyond my test's color levels? I just purchased the Leslie's Total Poolcare DPD Test Kit. In other words, the color i'm getting is darker than the darkest purple on the chlorine cell. I have been shocking heavily for a couple days to get rid of mustard algae. No sign of the algae and my water is almost clear, ever so slightly cloudy. I just want to make sure it's safe to swim in tomorrow. I purchased some chlorine neutralizer but I'd like to have the exact ppm number before doing anything else.

Welcome to TFP!

The only way to be "accurate" is to get a better chlorine test, specifically the FAS-DPD chlorine test. It can measure FC and CC levels from 0 to 50 in steps of 0.5.

You can get an approximate level with your current test by using dilution. Mix equal parts of pool water and chlorine free water (filtered or distilled), test that, and multiply the result by two. The precision will be less than half that of the normal way of using the DPD test, but it is closer than guessing.

Flaash2 said:
So basically I blew $48.99 on a test kit without FAS-DPD :hammer: Think they'll let me return it? I'm going to put in a little neutralizer to see if I can get the chlorine down within range. Thanks for the help!
Nope, not if the plastic's broken.

You bought a K-2005, not a K-2006. They probably also told you it was the same. The good news is, you can buy just the FAS-DPD tester here

About all you can do right now to test FC is to dilute your sample with chlorine-free - think bottled - water and multiply the result. It will not be accurate, but it's better than saying "5+"

PS: It's safe to swim up to shock level for your CYA. Won't bleach swimsuits, won't sting eyes.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.