Salt on concrete

dubele

Jun 17, 2013
Southeast Pennsylvania
Hi,

Looking to install a new pool. I am decided on a SWG. I've read that there is this big debate out there on whether salt is bad or not on concrete. I will be getting stamped concrete or a kool deck. Is the salt hard on the concrete or not?

Thanks,
Doug

P.S. - Figuring out all the ins and outs of pool items is like going to the moon LOL!!! And I love details!!!...but geez!!

The impact to concrete is pretty minimal ... the streets in the midwest seen much more harsh levels of salt in the winter than your deck will.

The real concern is with softer natural stone like flagstone.

If you look around the internet you'll see all sorts of horror stories with questionable credibility. I have kool deck, a SWG, and the deck is flaking badly. All of them do, eventually. A light-colored stamped deck will be just as cool as kool deck, and a lot more durable.

We just replaced our pool, that had a stamped concrete deck that looked terrible, it was peeling badly. The former owners had a SWG and I don't know if that is why the deck was so bad, but we went with a dyed (light brown) concrete deck. I figured the dye goes all the way through the concrete.

Concrete is mostly immune to salt levels you typically have with a SWG. However if you live in a very arid climate, so none of the salt ever gets washed away, the salt level on the deck can slowly build up until it eventually gets to a point where it is an issue.

Melt In The Sun,

So it seems you would not recommend salt because of it eating away the concrete? I have read enough that it sounds like it is not a good idea. Now, I see you live in AZ....and I've read that salt systems are bad in these area's due to the lack of rain. Do you regularly hose off your deck?

Thanks,
Doug

Actually he did not say it was eating away the concrete. He said it was possibly causing the kool deck coating to flake off. Personally I never saw that arty my previous house (maybe I was not there long enough).

I think my problem is a poor kooldeck application...it's very thin (<1/8"). I've seen many other kooldeck SWG pools around here that don't have that problem. Some of our friends just bought a place with a light tan stamped concrete deck and it's just as cool as my kooldeck, and looks much nicer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.