Newbie first TFT kit use - results

charlieTX

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 22, 2013
Houston, Texas
Howdy!

I just got my TF test kit this week and have performed my first test today.

I didn't realize my chlorine tower was empty, and I don't know what effect that will have on my results.

My first set of results are as follows

Total Alkalinity - 180

Ph is approx 7.8

Ca hardness is 800

CYA is 100

Could you please give me an idea of what products I'll need to add?

Thanks!

Charlie

Hi, Charlie,

You don't post your FC reading which is the most important.

I assume you mean a puck feeder when you say chlorine tower. Hold off on reloading that. Your CYA is way too high right now and the pucks will only contribute further to that excess.

Put your FC test result up and let's go from ther. I can tell you in advance that we are gonna' suggest a partial drain/refill to reduce the CYA.

We may need to talk more about what products to take away!

What product do you put in the chlorine tower?

Did you test chlorine using the oto/yellow drop test?

Did you test FC/CC using the FAS/DPD tests?

Please read the Extended Test Kit Directions here and do the CH and CYA tests for high readings.

extended-test-kit-directions-t25081.html

It would also be very helpful to test your fill water for TA & CH as mentioned.

You are going to need to do the water dance to lower some chems.
But first, let's confirm the test results to make sure.

BTW, how old is your pool?

charlieTX said:
Ah....

I didn't run that test as I noticed I had no chlorine tablets in the tower.....

I have since added 3" tabs to the tower and two scoops of shock.

The current results are FC - 17.5 and CC - 2.5 so a TC of 20....

Thanks!
As duraleigh said, the tabs will only raise CYA more, which is already too high. The "scoop shock", prob dichlor, will also raise CYA more. You gotta switch to bleach/liquid chlorine so that you stop adding to the problem!

But first, you still need to confirm the CYA level. If you are confident in the test reults, you will need to dump/refill about half the pool. Once you get that under control, you need to complete the shock process. Pool School has clear directions to accomplish this.

Getting the recommended test kit was the first big step. :goodjob:

Thanks for help guys.

Butterfly - I think the pool is around 10 years old.

Currently draining the pool.... I have a large bucket of 3' solid chlorine tablets :cry:

How should I dispose of those?

My last few visits to the pool store and they've told me everything was fine before I got my TF kit! :roll:

With these levels is the pool still safe to swim in?

Thanks again.

The pucks will last for years in the bucket. Hold on to them and use them if you need a CYA boost or for vacations.

Well, you really need to know what your CYA level truly is to know if you are "safe".
Have you pulled all the tablets out of the tower?
You can run the CYA test with 50/50 split of pool and tap water and then mix with the reagent and double the reading to find out how high it really is.

Given that you have a CC > 0.5, generally we would say the pool is not "safe" and you should go through the Shocking Your Pool PROCESS after lowering the CYA.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
charlieTX said:
Thanks for help guys.

Butterfly - I think the pool is around 10 years old.
okay

Currently draining the pool.... I have a large bucket of 3' solid chlorine tablets :cry:
Not to worry. Save them for vacations.

How should I dispose of those? Nope, see above. Also, they last forever if they stay dry.

My last few visits to the pool store and they've told me everything was fine before I got my TF kit! :roll:
:hammer: :hammer:

I would not swim w/ 2.5 CC. Let us see the pH, FC, CC & CYA once you get some draining done.

Thanks again.
Folks here love to help :)

How should I dispose of those?
Hang on to them! We try to never waste anything at TFP. :lol: They will make a great back up source if used sparingly and they will last forever.

Absolutely. Just keep a good amount (8 ppm or so) of chlorine in your pool (use bleach) and swim away.

When your refill is complete, retest and post the results.....we'll help you get fine tuned for the rest of the summer.

Good morning!

I drained off several inches of water and am currently refilling.

I ran a quick test this morning.

FC - 3.5

CC - 0

TA - 130

CH - 650

CYA is still around 100

So I guess I need to drain more water.

I'm heading to the store to buy liquid bleach. Approximately how many gallons am I going to need to add to shock the pool and get the FC up to the shock level of 39 as stated in the CY / FC chart?

Thanks!

Also, my pool is in direct Texas sunlight most of the day.

charlieTX said:
Howdy!

I drained half the pool over the weekend.

My new results are as follows

FC - 4

CC - 0

TA - 150

CH - 380

CYA - 55

Much better.... I am going to shock tomorrow!

Thanks guys!
:whoot: Nice work! Why not raise to shock level tonight and do the OCLT tonight, too? oops, what's the pH?

I would start that shock tonight.

Night time chlorine additions are more effective than daytime as the CL will only go to killing the algae that is making your pool cloudy. During the day, the sun drives off the FC (and the bad CC after the FC converts it).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.