Paint over a plastered pool?

MrcTag

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 31, 2007
Levittown, PA
Hi all!
I was wondering if it's possible to paint over a plastered pool? The pool is about 18 years old, In Ground and looking kind of dingy. I don't want to spend the money on a replaster job so I was wondering if it's possible to just fix any surface imperfections and just paint over the old plaster. The pool and equipment is in great condition otherwise. Anyone have any ideas or comments?

Thanks Marco

I wouldn't. If the plaster really needs to be replaced, ie lose/uneven/crumbling then painting won't help much. Also paint doesn't last nearly as long as plaster does, is a mess to clean up when it does start failing, and it costs almost as much as plaster.

MrcTag,

I think Jason is correct that having a pool replastered or painted BY PROFESSIONALS is going to cost almost as much as plaster.

But there may be a few caveats to the above statement. Painting, while extremely labor intensive, could be able to be done by a motivated amateur, whereas plastering would best be left to professionals. Also, the extensive preparation needed for paint deserves a decent paint - i.e. a two part epoxy. Two part epoxy paint is expensive also.

Here is a link discussing pool painting. http://www.poolrepair.com/archive/paint.html

These guys publish a CD for about $45 or so. I purchased the CD last year and it was worth the money. If you decide you want to investigate painting your pool further, I would highly recommend buying the CD and learning more. They dedicate 33 pages of their CD to pool painting. They estimate that the cost for paint and equipment is going to cost $750 - I'm not sure how old this cost estimate is, so I would budget at least $1000 for the effort. $45 spent on the CD seems reasonable in the context of a $1000 paint job.

As for any sort of paint job, 90% of the labor can be atributed to surface preparaton. And the key to a good paint job is 1) surface prep, 2) surface prep, and 3) surface prep. And given all that effort on the surface preparation, you are NOT going to want to apply a cheap pool paint. As mentioned above, use 2-part epoxy paint only. Any other kind of paint is not going to give you the durable and long-lasting results you want.

Let us know what you decide to do. And take pictures!

Titanium

I was quoted $8500 for a replaster job and that is why I was thinking about paint. The pool surface is not in bad shape at all so with some good prep work I think it would look nice. I cant imagine a paint job would be near $8500 but you never know. Now that I know it's possible I'll see whats involved and how much a good paint job would cost.

Thanks guys for your advice.

Marco

Our new to us home & pool was also painted.
Now we have to have it sandblasted off to get the thick layer of paint off to have it replastered. this is something to think about if you ever want to go back to plaster (the sand blasting expense and pain)

Chris
(counting the days to start our refurb on our pool...est. date to start 16 June)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.