Cya in a VERY sunny and HOT climate

Jul 16, 2011
Mesa Arizona
I've been doing the BBB method for a while now with great success. I've only had an algae outbreak once in that time and it was my fault. I got busy and didn't test or add chlorine for 3 days and by the end of the 3rd day, I finally asked my brother to come over to sweep and add some chlorine but it was a few hours too late. That little mistake on my part cost me a lot of time and money to make it right again but I can now say that with the advice on this forum, my pool is the cleanest it's ever been. I absolutely sparkles.
I do have one question though. I've been keeping my cya around 40 or so. I live in Mesa Arizona and my pool has no shade whatsoever. It gets full sun on it during the summer from about 5:30 am until around 7:00 pm and obviously it's very warm here. This weekend we are having a record breaking heat wave. It's supposed to be 118 or so.
My question is, with all the sunshine, should I be keeping my CYA in the 70 ppm range?

Thanks in advance for your advice........

I would go to 60 ppm and see how that works for you. It'll be a big improvement over 40 and still allows you to keep your chlorine residual down in a manageable range. (I know it sounds like we are splitting fine hairs) If you are losing a ton of chlorine after that, then perhaps 70 will work a bit better but I don't think I would go there until you give 60 a try.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.