Help I'm a Newb!!! hehe

Jun 25, 2013
Memphis, TN
All,

I’m on day 4 of fighting algae and day 4 of BBB!!! I ordered a K-2006 on Tuesday and expect it tomorrow. I’d give you numbers but they are what Leslie’s gave me 4 days ago when I got committed to BBB. My Calcium Hardness is kinda lo like 50 but who cares.. I’ve got a vinyl pool. I'm not gonna be pool "stored"!!!!

I’ve shocked my pool up to 16FC twice with no way to test for FC. I assumed it(FC) was still zero as Leslie had told me.
My PH was Ultra High so I used the calculator and added muriatic acid and it is just below normal, which I’ve read is great for fighting algae.

I scrub my walls and floors daily and my pump and filter have been going 24/7 with my crappy OTO test I can see that the FC is way above the resolution of that crappy tester!!!

What am I missing.
A.> Patience
B.> My mind
C.> Aptitude to jump my fence an cut down my neighbor’s sweet gum that hangs over the pool?
D.> Shouldn’t have bought a house with a pool

xokeman said:
My PH was Ultra High so I used the calculator and added muriatic acid and it is just below normal, which I’ve read is great for fighting algae.

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing. So is taking pH readings when chlorine is at shock level. accurate-ph-test-during-shock-levels-with-r-007-t61076.html

Did you take the readings and make the adjustment before or after you dumped in the chlorine?

Yours is an incredibly common issue for which there is no easy answer.

When you first find our group and begin to read, you realize that the pool store hasn't been helping you so you are ready to make the switch to what we teach.

The problem is everyone is terribly anxious to start correcting past misconceptions and get their pool cleared up right now....I certainly understand that.

Without the results from a test kit we trust, we just don't know exactly the condition of your water so it is difficult to give meaningful advice.

I suggest you simply go into "hold" by placing a gallon of Clorox in the pool each evening until your good kit gets in and you can then post up some valid numbers. Things will move very quickly from there.

Now we know the condition of your water!!

Raise your FC back up to around 12-14 before you got to bed, if you can.

Your pH is w-a-a-ay too low so tomorrow am, your FC should be 10 ppm or lower which will give you an accurate pH test. Raise the pH up to 7.4 or so using 20 Mule Team Borax. Your TA will come up with it.

After that keep replenishing your chlorine to around the 12 ppm mark until your pool is crystal clear....shouldn't be long. Keep your pump running 24/7, brush and clean your filter as often as you can.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
added enough chlorine to get it to 12 yesterday.

Checked moments ago after brushing the pool FC still at 9.5
PH tooo low K-2006 Base Demand test says 3 this time!

When brushing I've still found some green stuff being brushed away.

Ideas??? I guess having the pool ready for the 4th is probably not going to happen!

PH still below being able to read. since I've gotten no responses I've decided to let the FC down to a swimmable level.
I am going to calculate the amount of Borax to add from my K-2006 book and test from the Base demand test.

Xoke

xokeman said:
the puck feeder is off and empty!!! no more trichlor!!!

How many days do I need to keep the levels above 12???

No set duration. Keep shocking until the water is clear of all signs of algae, the CC LEVELS ARE 0.5 or less, and over night losses of FC are no more than 1 ppm.

See also pool-school/shocking_your_pool

Remember it is perfectly safe to swim at or just below shock levels.

Sent via Tapatalk...

just FYI to any one who has subscribed to this thread:

The water has cleared up. I estimate that I kept the pool at an FC of 12 for about 7 days. after-which I vacuumed to waste.

during those 7 days I brushed the entire pool at least once a day, the pump ran 24/7 and no one swam in the pool :(

tomorrow is Independence day and the pool is swim ready.

I have added baking soda to boost my TA, after which i will drop some muriatic Acid to bring that PH back down!

The pool is looking quite clear. although I can't see the deep end yet.. it is, afterall 10' deep.

IMG_2336.JPG

My daughter raising the TA!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.