Marlig fix-a-leak

May 25, 2007
As I posted before I've identified a main drain leak. Before simply plugging it and going without I wanted to try this product. I was losing about 2" of water daily.

Since this was a suction leak I followed their recommendations and reversed the flow so the water was returning through the main drain. I put the vacuum in the deep end and brushed to keep the product in solution several times.

The pool has been circulating like this now for 2 days. I've not lost any water at all. I'm hoping this is great news and proof the leak has stopped, but plan to switch flow back tonight and leave the main drain open but valve closed to let it cure, as instructed. If it starts losing, I'll plug it permanently.

In the meantime I'm wondering what to do with any of the product still in suspension in the pool. Water never turned hazy from it, and I really never saw any settled when I brushed. I plan to reinstall my DE grids, coat them and return to normal filtering, but am wondering if this is safe. The instructions say with sand to back wash as needed, I can do that with my DE filter but am I risking clogging my grids or will the DE protect them adequately?

I would keep the pump running and let it run until the pressure rises and you need to backwash. Then I'd break it down and clean it. That way you're sure not to be running any of the product backwards through the filter and chance clogging up the grids with it.

When I used it in my suction side (skimmer) leak I plugged the pipe at one end and pressurized it with a small submersible pump, then thoroughly flushed the line out with water before reconnecting the filter.

Ike

So far so good. Redirected flow, kept suction off main drain line, tonight will be a full 48hr cure and so far no water loss. Pool is back to crystal clear and pressure is only up a bit. Have my fingers crossed this is a done deal. Stuff worked great, just like advertised.

Hello Everyone on Trouble Free Pool reading this: This is my first time posting on a thread. I have used Fix-A-Leak by Marlig Industries Inc, 909 ml. I have a concrete tiled hot tub filtered by a sand filter-Jacuzzi 39263009. This tub had developed a leak in it's plumbing and I remember turning the sand filter's pump off while just running the pumps for the hot tub jets. This product worked on two occasions, a year apart, even though I added more than recommended on the label's directions. I wish to add more prophylactically once per year as this is an indoor hot tub. Does anyone know which setting of the above model sand filter's valve positions would be for Recirculate? The settings available are Filter, Rinse, Winterize, Whirl Pool, Backwash, Test and Drain. This is for a possible future problem, to add Fix-A-Leak to this pumps plumbing line with pump running and not having tub water go through the sand in the sand filter. To recap, this product worked twice for me.

Just want to pass along a little trick I used with fix-a leak to help seal a leak I had. My situation was I had a leak in a 2" skimmer line. I installed a 2" port for a pressure tester at the filter end and installed screw in caps at the 2 skimmers. I poured Fix-a-Leak in at the pressure testing port and installed the water pressure tester. A number of times I would let the pressure reduce from 15 lbs to 5 and then bring it back up to 15. I could not seem to get the line to hold pressure. I then took an electrical snake and connected a plastic washer about the size of a quarter to the end of the snake and ran this down the length of the line about 40 feet working it back and forth agitating the fix-a-leak in the line, this seemed to help seal the leak. Hope this info helps someone else with a similar problem.

Reactions: Shirker
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.