This pool Chemical stuff is confusing

Feb 22, 2013
Hello all,
I might be dumb or not comprehending the chemical aspects of maintaining a pool. I have read the pool school and several other pages, but I just don't understand. I have a cloudy, green pool. I have the TF100 test and tested the water.
My results are:
CYA - 60
FC - 8
CC - 0
TC - 8
T/A - 150
PH - 8.4
From what I read, I "Think" my readings are ok. But why do I have a green pool?
Thanks,

The pool was green with alge yesterday, day before yesterday we had a very hard rain. I tested yesterday and added 2 gallons of bleach to the pool.
I woke up this morning, vacuumed the pool and tested again. I posted the results in my first post.

The test Kit Chlorine Drop Test states.
"5. To test for Combined Chloramines(CC), add 5 drops of R0003 to the solution and swirl. If it remains clear, you have no CC's. It it returns back to pink... blah, blah blah. "
I added the 5 drops of R0003 and it remained clear. So I recorded as no CC.

From the time that zea3 told me to shock the pool. I put in 2lbs of Blue Wave Chlor-Burst Fast-Dissolve shock. Because that is all I have at the time, I am waiting for my wife to come home from the store with bleach. I just took my readings and I have:
FC - 13 - (26 Drops)
CC - .5 - (1 drop).
From what I read from the "http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/shocking_your_pool" I need to get my Shock level up to 24.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Pictures ALWAYS help. The important thing to note here is you are in a "process" not an occasional or intermittent dose of chlorine.

Shock value FC must be maintained over a period of days and you must follow "How to Shock Your Pool" up in Pool School.

Everyone is easily confused on this point. You must do all the things suggested over a period of days and your pool will turn crystal clear. That often takes patience and faith but hang in there....this will work.

The only thing that changed since the hard rain we got and the pool turning green, I had ordered and recieved a "Pool Rover", to automatically clean the pool. Would that have cause the pool to turn green?

I couldn't reach that part with the pole, the whole pool bottom was covered with it this morning, it vacuumes up, but I need to get a longer pool extention to reach that part. Headed to the pool supply shop now to pick one up.

It's fine if you get in your pool when it below shock value by even just a little bit. Brushing and vacuuming is a VERY important part of the process and needs to be done anytime you observe stuff on the floor.

GreatCanadian said:
I agree with you zea, but something isn't right. If he has algae, then his CC should NOT have been 0 this morning. And I doubt they were. There is something wrong with the test results.
Just to clarify, algae clearing does not necessarily throw off CCs. ChemGeek, please jump in if I'm wrong, but the major source of CCs (aka monochloramine, dichloramine, and nitrogen trichloride) is the oxidation of nitrogen based compounds like urea, ammonia, sweat, etc.

Smykowski, you are correct. It is extremely common to have algae and have CC be zero.

Metals are more likely to be the issue when the water is a clear transparent green. Algae is more likely when the pool is cloudy/murky. The photo looks more on the clear transparent side, but with a touch of cloudiness, so not definitive.

An overnight FC loss test will clear things up. If you are losing chlorine overnight then it is algae. Otherwise it is probably metals in the water

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.