New Guy with Cloudy water help

micmlm

Jun 28, 2013
Hi everyone,

I have had a pool for many years and have always had pretty good luck maintaining it!!Until this year I can't get rid of my cloudy water here are the readings I have come up with using my Taylor K-2006 kit (first time using).
PH-7.6
Alk- 120
Calcium-50
CYA-50
FC-1.6
CC-.6

Pool is 27' 18,400 gallons above ground.

Anyone have any ideas why the water is cloudy?? Numbers look ok to me

OK thanks, that's what i saw after reading some around here on the site I saw the table that showed what you are saying.
I have 3 bags of hypo shock 53% and lots of bleach can I mix them, I know not together but shock with the bags wait awhile then add bleach? Thanks for any info!!

Yes you can do what you have asked. You can use the calhypo for a while, but over time it will raise the CH too high. You are good now though. I will add that calhypo has a habit of clouding pools for a while, just be aware that it may happen.

Hi again,
Ok I lowered ph to 7.2 Friday night, then shocked Saturday morning with 5 gallons of bleach, here in ohio they have 8.25% little over 7% FC, water looks much better this afternoon will let filter run overnight again, I think I am on the right track, my question is how do I maintain chlorine around 5 to 8 with bleach? I usually put triclor in the shimmer 3" pucks but my CYA is up to 50 and I don't want to raise it anymore. Thanks in advance for any help!

Hi everyone, just wanted to shout out a thanks, my water is crystal clear this morning, I have maintained shock level chlorine and ran pump 24/7 for 4 days. I know I wont get an accurate ph reading until the chlorine goes below 10, will other readings be accurate?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
micmlm said:
Hi everyone, just wanted to shout out a thanks, my water is crystal clear this morning, I have maintained shock level chlorine and ran pump 24/7 for 4 days. I know I wont get an accurate ph reading until the chlorine goes below 10, will other readings be accurate?
Yes. Be aware that the TA test may shift from green>pink to blue>yellow. Don't freak.

OK thanks, I will post numbers tonight, I assume it is OK to let chlorine drift back down? What kind of TA levels should I shoot for? Last I checked it was 120. Also I think I read somewhere on the taylor K2006 kit when I put the powder in to check chlorine do I have to put in 2 scoops or is 1 OK if water turns red? Thanks again for all you help!! I am done with pools stores!!!

Sounds to me like you need to add liquid chlorine/bleach, each night to aim for 8 ppm (according to the above comment) but adjust this higher (9-10PPM) if you find you are lower than 4 PPM the next night (test). This is assuming you are testing each night like I do.

HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY!!! Water is still clear here are my numbers after letting the pool sit overnight with out pump running.

FC 11
PH 7.6
ALK 140
CALC 110
CYA 45-50

Numbers look good to me I know my chlorine was a little high to check PH but I was curious, think its a good number? Or recheck once chlorine drops to 10? Otherwise keep chlorine around 6 to 8 and I should be good?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.