Wood privacy fence latches/locks

MiaOKC

Apr 15, 2012
Oklahoma City, OK
Hello - we are going to replace a 6 foot chain link fence with an 8 foot cedar privacy fence. I would like to replace our current locking "system" - i.e., a bike's combination chain lock - with a more professional, worry-free locking mechanism.

I want to be able to open the gate from either side, and have a combination/PIN code lock on the outside for the yard guy, etc. Self closing is also on the wish list. Anyone know of magical hardware/combination of hardware that can accomplish all this on a heavy wooden fence gate? Once I worked in a building that had a push button keypad door handle for all the employees to use the same PIN, something like that is in my mind.

combination lock/coded access (does not need a key)
self closing
can be opened from inside or out

Thanks!

Dave, do you mean something that's normally used on doors and not fences? (not sure exactly what a standard entrance set means). I will have to investigate to see if they can be used outdoors, and we might have a problem with the latching mechanism - I don't think there will be a door jamb for the latch to click into since we will have metal 10' posts instead of wooden posts.

Vinper, thanks for the link. I did find something similar to my old office's entry door - it was this. http://www.tsdistributors.com/iron/l100 ... andle.html Again, not sure if I could rig it to work on a fence though, will have to investigate.

Thanks for the suggestions, please keep 'em coming!

Thanks so much for the link to that site, Mike W! I liked the ones you linked to, and searched around and found these:
http://www.gokeyless.com/product/660/1/ ... ock-marine

I like the idea that they are marine grade and suited for outdoor use. One advantage to the marine lock I linked is that (combined with an auto-closer on the gate) it will latch and lock automatically. I worry that the yard guy or some worker would neglect to secure the slide bolt on the gate lock you linked. I recall coming home from work one night to find the gate standing wide open after the plumber had come by that morning and used the gate to access the back yard. I nearly had a heart attack, as our next door neighbor's toddler was walking by that time and it just takes a minute of inattention. Even my DH has been guilty of leaving the gate open when he's doing yard work and making repeated trips in and out, then gets distracted by something and forgets to go back to close the gate.

I might have to do some rigging/construction to make a "jamb" for the latch to have a place to catch, but so far this is looking very possible. Thanks again!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.