SWG test results

Hi everyone

I have an intex SWG and have been running it now 3 hrs a day everyday and this is what i got for my results. This is the second time testing it also the 3rd day using the intex SWG

FC-5
PH-7.2
TA-180

I know i've read somewhere here the PH level is ok but the TA is high. I'm confused what do i do to lower it???

Read Pool School. It has step by step instructions on how to lower TA. Hopefully you have a good test kit like the TF-100. Makes keeping your pool happy a breeze. :-D

Yes, per the pool calculator. Then raise pH by aerating. Posts that I have read indicate pointing returns up to break water surface. I have a waterfall and that does the trick for me. Also, keep in mind that the SWG will naturally cause pH to drift up but in my case, my pH seems to stay fairly steady. I have only had to add muriatic acid twice since opening pool in April.

Hopefully some of the experts will chime in as all I know is what I have learned in Pool School. But I can't emphasize enough the importance of having your own good test kit. You really need to be testing your own water so you can better manage your levels. Also, it is helpful for those who are experts to see your full test results including your CYA, etc.

Because your pH is already at 7.2, the first thing you need to do is allow the pH to come up through aeration - not using borax. It should come up gradually on its own. When it does get to 7.8ish, then you add the muriatic acid to lower it back to 7.2, then let it rise on its own. It's a sloooow process, and depending on the TA of your fill water, you may never get it to the recommended ranges.

I've been working on lowering my TA for about a year, and progress is slow.

thanks so much. I will eventually get a good pool test kit, not really sure where to go for that since i don't wanna shop online because I hate waiting for things, I'm more of a buy and have it already kinda gal. Now my other question is where do i find this muriatic acid ? pool stores? hardware stores? and would i still be able to swim in it after putting this in the pool?

First, get one of the recommended test kits online. The "want it now" factor will lead to more money spent because more than likely, you won't be able to find the right one locally.

Second, the muriatic acid can be found at most hardware stores - Ace, Home Depot, Lowes, etc. When you add the MA, make sure the pump is running, and you will be good to swim about 30 minutes after you add it.

Like I said in the previous post, you won't need MA until your pH rises to around 7.8, which will likely take several days to a week, depending on much "aeration" is happening.

rdhetrick said:
Because your pH is already at 7.2, the first thing you need to do is allow the pH to come up through aeration - not using borax. It should come up gradually on its own. When it does get to 7.8ish, then you add the muriatic acid to lower it back to 7.2, then let it rise on its own. It's a sloooow process, and depending on the TA of your fill water, you may never get it to the recommended ranges.

I've been working on lowering my TA for about a year, and progress is slow.

Sorry, I did jump the gun about adding muriatic acid since your pH is 7.2. I understand the "want it now" but this is definitely one time that you want to patiently wait. I wouldn't think a few more days will make much difference in being sure that you are adding/doing what you need to do. Trust the experts on this forum and you will be glad you did.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.