Manitoba, Canada
Hello,

We received our test kit and these are the first numbers we got:

FC - 7 ppm
CC - 0.5 ppm
pH - 7.2
T/A - 370
CYA 35

The water is pretty clear, we can see the bottom, but it is slightly cloudy which I am guessing is a result of the high T/A.

We used the trichlor pucks that came with the pool and Pool Magnet from the pool store to get rid of the iron in our water. We now want to go BBB.

The pool calculator seems to indicate that we need to aerate the water to reduce our T/A. It's pouring rain right now, should we pull back the solar cover?

Thanks in advance.

Good. When the rain stops, keep an eye on your FC level if you see it drop or the cloudiness turn a greenish tint then dump some more bleach in there because it could be the start of algea. Be sure to run your filter non-stop till the cloudiness goes away.

Now go put on dry clothes....LOL

The rain is still falling, the PH is now 7.5, FC is 6 ppm and the T/A has dropped to 350

The pool calculator is asking for 6 liters of muriatic acid. We have four liters (should have bought more, but who knew?)
It seems like a lot, and we would like some confirmation before pouring it in. Does this make sense?

When TA is really high it takes huge amounts of acid to lower the PH. I get just over 6 liters. If you feel at all uncomfortable adding that much at once just add one or two liters at a time, let it mix for half an hour and then test the water to see where that got you.

After following the advice on this forum and via the Pool Calculator I am happy to say that our water is clear and sparkling!
As of 9:30 last night:
T/A - 130
PH - 7.2
Cl - 4 - 5
We aerated all night again and I am assuming that this morning our PH will be closer to 7.5 and all will be well with our pool.

Now all we need is for a Manitoba summer to finally replace this Manitoba winter and we will be swimming :)

Thanks for all your help, both in this thread and everywhere else.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.