Got a pool in the garage!!!

Apr 26, 2013
NC
Hi everyone!

The last time I posted was just to introduce myself....we've been debating on getting a pool, turn-key, from a local installer...or...another (bigger) intex pool. We debated, and debated, and debated some more....and we finally decided on the 26' ultra frame intex! :party: I'm thrilled!!! It's in a large box in the garage, and now the real work begins! :goodjob:

We're making a list of things we need to do to begin the process, and my husband feels that we have to get a sand filter before we even begin to set it up. I've been trying to figure out which filter to get, and I've seen some neat setups on YouTube (one of the guys posts here, I think...he "YouTubed" his hard plumbed intex sand filter and homemade fountain...very cool!) At this point, I'm confused and am having a bit of a hard time deciding what's best, so I'm thinking that it's getting late in the season, so we need to move forward with leveling and setting up, using the filter that came with it...then decide what works best for us and get a sand filter after. What do you all think?

LOL! Thanks for the advice! You know, I think I did see a coupon for motrin in that Intex box...guess I should've taken that as a sign! :mrgreen: We are lucky enough to have a fairly level lot already, but from past experience, what looks "fairly" level can be deceiving! Although, after looking at the slopes some TFP users have had to tame, my yard looks like a piece of cake in comparison. You guys and gals have given me hope! :cheers:

Casey said:
Were you looking at my build? :mrgreen:

Oh.....my.....gosh!!!! YES! :-D :shock: :-D All I kept thinking is, 'whoa...now that is amazing!!'

Before I found this site, we were up visiting Ohio (a very hilly part of Ohio) we went past a house that was on the side of a hill with a big 'ol intex pool in the back yard....on a hill, too!!! :shock: We half-way joked that if you were in that pool and the wall blew out, you'd be riding a wave across the highway! I have thought about that pool ever since and wondered how much work was involved in making that hill-side level....then I stumbled upon your build! Now, because of your posts, I can watch it happen...keep posting pictures, it's very informative! :goodjob:

From my experience, YES you need a sand filter. Must easier to use than the standard filter that comes with the intex pools. Our first pool was an Intex pool with a paper filter system. Didn't take me long to figure out that we needed a sand filter.

Heather_A said:
Casey said:
Were you looking at my build? :mrgreen:

Oh.....my.....gosh!!!! YES! :-D :shock: :-D All I kept thinking is, 'whoa...now that is amazing!!'

Before I found this site, we were up visiting Ohio (a very hilly part of Ohio) we went past a house that was on the side of a hill with a big 'ol intex pool in the back yard....on a hill, too!!! :shock: We half-way joked that if you were in that pool and the wall blew out, you'd be riding a wave across the highway! I have thought about that pool ever since and wondered how much work was involved in making that hill-side level....then I stumbled upon your build! Now, because of your posts, I can watch it happen...keep posting pictures, it's very informative! :goodjob:

I'm gonna slay that hillside! :mrgreen: I really don't wanna ride my turtle through the neighbor's house n out the Door n downtown! lol

OK, so I went outside and dug out the 30' round area we are planning to use....
http://www.flickr.com/photos/memories_2 ... 214607239/

Got done with that.... :whoot:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/memories_2 ... 217385190/

Then the rain came!!! :cry: It has rained (significantly) EVERYDAY for the last 2 weeks....yuck....now our back yard is completely saturated! We tried to bring in some equipment yesterday (Oh, boy that was a whole other story..could've dug it out by hand quicker..took it back!) to help with the clearing/leveling....what a mess! From the picture below it doesn't look like much, but when you are right up to it, those ruts are a foot deep....and MUUUUDDDDYYY!!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/memories_2 ... 214612381/

So, for now we are waiting - weather man is calling for rain till next thursday...maybe then we'll dry out enough to get some different equipment in and get this thing started again! I'm freaking out, because we are so far into the summer and I feel like we're wasting time, but I know we have to get this first part done right, otherwise we'll be in a bigger mess that we are right now! :(

While we are waiting for everything to dry out...I'm curious, I've seen some people on TFP say they used a foam board under their pools?? Can someone tell me if they've used it under an Intex Ultra Frame pool? We are planning to treat the ground for bugs and weeds, then use the ground cover enclosed with the pool, then use "gorilla mat"...but thought maybe the foam would be an alternative to "gorilla mat"

I have intex ultra frame and used the foam.. 3/4" is what I got and so glad I did.. Totally worth it.

You must be getting the rain we had here the last 10 days.. Was so glad when It was gone finally...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

clambert1273 said:
I have intex ultra frame and used the foam.. 3/4" is what I got and so glad I did.. Totally worth it.

You must be getting the rain we had here the last 10 days.. Was so glad when It was gone finally...

Hi clambert1273! Yes, that is the same rain!! :rant: Sure wish I could send some to those who really need it!

So, as far as the foam...you got it from a home improvement store? And do you mind telling me what you used to tape the seams together?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I used Gorilla Tape (2 big rolls - that stuff is amazing) and I got mine from Home Depot. I ordered it online and had hubby go get it with the truck lol

Dont worry about it being "foam" as it is tough.. We walked all over it while taping and never made an indent on it.

Sorry I sent the rain to ya lol but glad it is away from me :p

Hi everyone! Well, it's hard to believe it's been a year (almost) since I started this thread! And, honestly, not much has happened up until about a week ago...we started digging and getting the site ready (again!) So we've spent the whole week digging, shoveling, leveling and then digging, shoveling and leveling some more...got the pool up Sunday night, started filling Monday....only to find....OFF LEVEL!! :drown: Boo hoo! It's off by a good 5 inches! So, we took the night off and decided that we needed a rest...it's hard to think when you've worked that hard and things don't come out like you had planned and we had some crazy thoughts running through our heads (like; maybe if we keep filling, it will level itself out....and, maybe we can just put pavers under the legs on the low side....and, maybe we can leave it and have a shallow end and a deeper end....duh! :hammer:)

Anyhoo...this morning we've decided that we're going to take the pool back down and level it again...funny how a night's rest can make your mind think more clearly! So, bottom line is, we haven't given up, the pool is awesome and we are excited to get this thing filled up! It's just taking us a long time, because it's just the two of us, a wheelbarrow, a string level and a couple of shovels! Hopefully, within the next 2 weeks, we'll be up and ready to fill! In the meantime, I'm lurking around the site, learning what I can!

Thanks for the link, Richard320. Ha! Looks like there is at least one or two people in the same boat as us...in NC, too...hmmm..maybe we can get a group discount on equipment rental! LOL! I'm going to show that link to my husband tonight...very informative.

Thanks for the good luck wishes, timerguy..we're gonna need all of those we can get!

Hello Heather! Leveling these sites are painful and try have to be within an inch. Water doesn't lie. Take your time. Find your high spots n Mark them so you know where to dig down and use a level, water level or a laser level.

Good luck!!! You can do it!!!

Thanks, Casey! The encouragement we are getting from everyone here is very motivating! :cheers: We're going to drain the water tonight, then, throughout the rest of the week, we plan to take the pool apart and start over...hopefully be done and ready to fill by next week....(insert fingers crossed here! :D)

Ok, we've emptied the pool and taken it down. We've removed all the tarps, gorilla pad and base gravel. We made a water level and practiced using it until it just got too dark to see. So far, so good. Tomorrow should be interesting. Looking forward to tomorrow when we can actually use the level!

OK....I have muscles in places that I'm not 100% muscles should be!! I've gone from fluff to buff because of all this leveling! Not a bad thing, but wow, my arms and shoulders are sore!!

The water level (bunyip) is/was awesome...we had a little learning curve to go through, but we made it through. We used it all through the re-leveling process. We have been working non-stop every moment we have had an opportunity and hopefully this will all pay off. After taking the pool down to re-level it, my husband and I decided we wanted to add another layer under the pool, so we have added extruded poly foam board under the pool, too. So the layering goes: earth, some gravel at the low end of the area, sand...all tamped well, heavy tarps, intex tarp, extruded poly foam board, gorilla pad and last....pool. Last night we got the layers up to the gorilla pad done and used the water level (again!) and a "regular" bubble level all around, and everything looks VERY level...tonight is looking like the night we put up the pool and begin the fill process again. We'll know for sure how level we got it in the next day or two. I'm soooo hoping the pool is level, because if it's not, I honestly don't know what we're going to do. (I know I sound like a big baby...but....whaaa! ;) )

You have worked so hard at this! I bet it will be fine!!! Believe your level and water level! It does not lie!!! Post a lot of pics!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.