Liquid Silicon or Vaseline in the POOL?

harleysilo

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Mar 1, 2012
North Georgia
So Richard320 made a comment about Scout camp and that got me thinking back to my Scouting days and the fun we used to have. We however never went to a camp with a big pool, our camps were on lakes. One of the things i enjoyed the most were greased watermelon fights. Basically you divide up into teams, and toss a watermelon (covered in Vaseline) in at center field. The object is for each team to move/carry/push it to their end-zone.

No my kids and their friends are still too young for this, but what would be the consequences of doing this in my pool?

Will Chlorine breakdown either Vaseline or Liquid Silicon? I have food grade spray silicon that i'm supposed to spray in the tracks where my autocover runs, i haven't done it yet, so this post/question really is two-fold, fun and seriousness combined.

What would become of my DE filter with either's use?

Shout out to all the Eagles Scouts!

And i know :nopic: but we didn't have camera's in every pocket back in the day....

Okay, so Liquid Silicon would be the choice, the remaining question is would a couple slime balls in the skimmer basket with one of those skimmer basket socks be enough to protect the grids? I am assuming the silicon would stay on the surface....but i can shut of main drains as well.....

Well i wouldn't say i'm obsessed, just asking the thorough questions, i guess i'll have to spray some in a bucket of water and violently mix it to see if it sinks or floats or does both....and water-soluble stuff washes right off in water :tasty:

I know it sounds like fun, but why would you do a field game in the pool?
It could be dangerous to some kid.
Why have a watermelon destroyed in your pool?
That's a clean-up I'd like to watch.
But most importantly, why would you take the chance of compromising or damaging your filter, and possibly the surface of every skimmer, pipe, basket, strainer, SWG, etc. in your system with grease for an afternoon's fun?
There's a reason people take showers or are reasonably clean before they get in the pool: To not gum up the works.
But if that's what you want to do...hey, enjoy!
You kinda asked for opinions. You got mine, and you can call me a Grinch.

I don't know if it would do the job, nor if it would harm your pool system, but maybe Aloe Vera gel would work for you.

We used to do this at the swim club when we were kids. My dad was the president of said swim club along with other members of the board and members families. I distinctly remember having such fun with this every year. I was young and don't know the true ramifications of vaseline on filter and what not but I'd sure press my luck to play again with a few friends even though I'm 35 years... uhhhh young! :mrgreen:

We also used to get several pairs of socks, blue jeans and sweat shirts and throw them in the pool. The first one to dress themselves won. We had fun... :-D

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
alanpaul said:
I know it sounds like fun, but why would you do a field game in the pool?
It could be dangerous to some kid.
Why have a watermelon destroyed in your pool?
That's a clean-up I'd like to watch.
But most importantly, why would you take the chance of compromising or damaging your filter, and possibly the surface of every skimmer, pipe, basket, strainer, SWG, etc. in your system with grease for an afternoon's fun?
There's a reason people take showers or are reasonably clean before they get in the pool: To not gum up the works.
But if that's what you want to do...hey, enjoy!
You kinda asked for opinions. You got mine, and you can call me a Grinch.

I don't know if it would do the job, nor if it would harm your pool system, but maybe Aloe Vera gel would work for you.

Aloe Vera might work....heck sunscreen might be just fine but we all complain about that getting in the pool. Incidentally never recall on actually breaking, but I suppose that is possible. I guess you wouldn't play sharks and minnows would ya? I remember when it got down to the last few players you would have to gang up and hold the big kids down under water till they ran out of breath before they gave up, fun times! (Nobody drowned either).

harleysilo said:
Aloe Vera might work....heck sunscreen might be just fine but we all complain about that getting in the pool. Incidentally never recall on actually breaking, but I suppose that is possible. I guess you wouldn't play sharks and minnows would ya? I remember when it got down to the last few players you would have to gang up and hold the big kids down under water till they ran out of breath before they gave up, fun times! (Nobody drowned either).
Sounds like the game the camp staff - 30 guys between 15 and 22 - played in the pool. We called it Killball.

First pool party I ever had a kids dad walks up and throws a watermelon in my bbb super clear pool. I was flabbergasted. Needless to say it didn't stay in there long and he never came back.

ouachita said:
First pool party I ever had a kids dad walks up and throws a watermelon in my bbb super clear pool. I was flabbergasted. Needless to say it didn't stay in there long and he never came back.
That's hilarious, can't believe he did that without asking!

When I bought my first new car, a wrangler back in 2004, the first thing I did was take the key and put a nice little scratch in the side.... My wife could not comprehend untill we went offroading the next weekend....life is too short to not have any fun in your jeep or pool....

harleysilo said:
ouachita said:

When I bought my first new car, a wrangler back in 2004, the first thing I did was take the key and put a nice little scratch in the side.... My wife could not comprehend untill we went offroading the next weekend....life is too short to not have any fun in your jeep or pool....

A man after my own heart. I teach my girls to drive when they turn 10 (I grew up in the country and it makes sense there). I took my older out for one of her first driving lessons down a long forgotten dirt road that had turned more cattle path. The scrub closed in on us and every time she veered even slightly off center, she was met with "screeeeeeeeeeeeeech". She was very worried about it, but I told her that I drive a truck (ok, SUV - but it is 4 wheel drive) for a reason. She has some scratches and bumps, but we have had a blast in her!

I haven't put a watermelon in the pool... yet.

glitter&guns said:
harleysilo said:
ouachita said:

A man after my own heart. I teach my girls to drive when they turn 10 (I grew up in the country and it makes sense there). I took my older out for one of her first driving lessons down a long forgotten dirt road that had turned more cattle path. The scrub closed in on us and every time she veered even slightly off center, she was met with "screeeeeeeeeeeeeech". She was very worried about it, but I told her that I drive a truck (ok, SUV - but it is 4 wheel drive) for a reason. She has some scratches and bumps, but we have had a blast in her!

I haven't put a watermelon in the pool... yet.
Nice! I grew up on a farm, got a hardship license at 14. Grandma taught me to drive in a 74' ford f150 with a three speed on the column, read wheel drive only....she made me get stuck then showed me how to gather rocks and branches to unstuck! Course I started driving a tractor at eight got to know how in case something happens to dad. Also was driving a 50's logging truck at ten that you had to double clutch cause no synchro gears, talk about fun!!!

Harley,
At 5'2", you'd say I'm still a minnow! And my games were gymnastics and soccer.
In high school, we all played SMEAR. You know, everyone tackles the guy (or girl) who has the football. No rules. Same idea as Killball.
Also, I worked as a lifeguard for 4 or 5 summers, so I have some concern about pool danger, having rescued kids and adults.

Have fun!

We didn't call it smear, actually we did but we added a few nouns to it....

And I lifeguarded for several years but never had to rescue anyone thank goodness!

Did see a girl goalie die on the field from a illegal kick to the jaw bone.

Nothing is foolproof.

high jack warning

I drove my grandfathers "farm truck" to Oklahoma City one day. It was a four speed with a compound low. it had several "challanges"... like it would not go directly into second gear at stop signs. it would need to go into first, move feet and then you could shift into second.

The other issue were the chains and cardboard on the front floor boards, under the driver's feet. I learned "the hard way" what happens when you lift the cardboard/rust/dirt/chains covering the rust holes in the floor of the truck. Problem was, I learned this at 50 MPH running down the country road. It involves a cloud of Crud off the floor or truck blowing up into my face and the 250 air conditioning (2 open windows, 50 MPH) I was using.

We used crisco on said watermelons back in the day :D

Being organic I think a good SLAM after would CLEAR the crisco nicely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.