How long before Acid begins to lower pool ph?18.000 gal viny

Jun 27, 2013
I am waiting for my ph to drop to 7.4 or 7.2 so that I can add Super Zappit tonight. Cool breeze and this is nice but is it safe to assume that it will be low enough during the night ? I started at 7.6 almost an hour ago... . And directions read to lower ph prior to adding zappit. I heard safe is 30 minutes.

Re: How long before Acid begins to lower pool ph?18.000 gal

How about some test results?

If you are needing to start the shock PROCESS, these would be needed.

If you are "shocking" your pool, just because the pool store says you have to once a week, don't. It is NOT needed. Pool School (link at top right of every page) will tell you why.

They want the pH low because it's Calcium Hypochlorite and it can cause cloudiness.

How about some test results? If you've got high alkalinity and a lot of movement, it's going to keep pushing pH up. If you've got green water, one bag of zappit probably won;t do anything for you. If you've got high Calcium, it's going to make it worse. pool-school/read_before_you_post

Well it did work... Our pool had been lovely but then after a swim party boom! So I have not shocked the pool weekly with Lithoshock as the pool Wearhouse says to do this summer. Although when we have in the past we never end uo with issues There was a green hue to the water that night and weve had the algae bloom overnight at times and I didn't want a replay of that. I have used liquid shock before as well when necessary and Afyerward "Pool First Aid". Here were my test results that night. Alk 160 ph 7.6 then 7.4 after acid. We have very hard water about 560 ppm out of the faucet. Usually acid is what we need more than anything. We've had this exact pool, liner and all for 9 years and have only had to empty it once due to lack of chemicals in the winter ONE year. Never again! Also we've had to drain the pool by about 1/3rd dur to stabilization lock issue, other than that tho we've kept same water year after year. We do not drain on a consistent basis. We always maintain the pool and leave the pump running non stop except some winters we will leave it on for only 4 hours a day using a timer...

Naomijos said:
Well it did work... Our pool had been lovely but then after a swim party boom! So I have not shocked the pool weekly with Lithoshock as the pool Wearhouse says to do this summer. Although when we have in the past we never end uo with issues There was a green hue to the water that night and weve had the algae bloom overnight at times and I didn't want a replay of that. I have used liquid shock before as well when necessary and Afyerward "Pool First Aid". Here were my test results that night. Alk 160 ph 7.6 then 7.4 after acid. We have very hard water about 560 ppm out of the faucet. Usually acid is what we need more than anything. We've had this exact pool, liner and all for 9 years and have only had to empty it once due to lack of chemicals in the winter ONE year. Never again! Also we've had to drain the pool by about 1/3rd dur to stabilization lock issue, other than that tho we've kept same water year after year. We do not drain on a consistent basis. We always maintain the pool and leave the pump running non stop except some winters we will leave it on for only 4 hours a day using a timer...
My pool is open year-round and in three years it's never turned green, nor even cloudy, once. Not one time. That's over 1,000 days continuously, nights, weekends, and holidays included, without a problem and without ever once "shocking" the pool. You can learn how by reading Pool School

[center:3logvz36][/center:3logvz36]

People who do not use the TFP methods somehow seem to accept that shocking is a normal occurence. While discussing pools with my neighbor he made the comment ...."yeah but you still have to shock it every few weeks"..... I told him that no that's not true. He said "I wouldn't want to swim in your pool". In the meantime, his children WERE swimming in my pool this weekend, and they commented how soft the water felt, and how "it don't sting my eyes like our pool"... But my neighbor will not ask me for advice you can bet on that. I offered and he refused, so that's that story.

I think that people who have used pool store methods for some time just have it ingrained in them and find it hard to let go. They just can't believe that you don't need all that Crud for a clean pool. It's not their fault. It is what they've been told. But when they finally totally let go and accept TFP methods, it's like a revelation!

Richard (3 years with a clean pool and no shocking) is testament to that fact that this works. And it works far better than pool store methods. But you have to give in to it. You can't use both. All you need for awesome pool water is a TF-100 test kit and this forum. The people here will guide you, as they guided me.

GC

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.