Re-Using Strainer Socks

crokett

Jul 17, 2007
Hillsborough, NC
I have been rinsing out my strainer socks, letting them dry and re-using them. Is this a problem? I thought I might be promoting algae growth or some such. They don't cost that much. It isn't the $$$ as it is the time to go get more if I throw out the ones I have.

<gasp!> I never once considered they weren't meant to be rinsed out and re-used!?
I change mine almost daily, rinsing the schmutz out with the hose and let it dry out in the sun while I use a different one in its place.

4knights said:
Wow! You guys actually change them and let one dry? I just dump the basket and rinse the sock while still attached to the basket. Figured I'd replace it when it wouldn't rinse any longer.

I'm not doing it this way for any other reason that I want to pop the lid off the basket, grab it, replace with a different one and get up off my knees as quickly as possible cause when I'm kneeling and reaching down so far to grab the basket like that the cement tears up my pedicure's pretty polish :oops:

I use ladies knee highs (queen size) from Walmart. The cheap ones in the little plastic shell cost 33¢. At six stockings for $1, no reason to reuse them.

chiefwej said:
I use ladies knee highs (queen size) from Walmart. The cheap ones in the little plastic shell cost 33¢. At six stockings for $1, no reason to reuse them.

I've never used any skimmer sock or the like. When you use the knee highs, do you just stretch it and put the basket in like where the foot would go? Do you tie it off then? Thanks for any explanation.

crek31 said:
When you use the knee highs, do you just stretch it and put the basket in like where the foot would go? Do you tie it off then? Thanks for any explanation.

No, the sock or stocking goes inside the basket(basket needs to be between the knee high and the suction)
you stretch the knee high or the skimmer sock over the basket rim with the material remaining inside the basket. This ensures it doesn't get sucked through your plumbing. It and all the junk stays in the skimmer basket.

crek31 said:
I've never used any skimmer sock or the like. When you use the knee highs, do you just stretch it and put the basket in like where the foot would go? Do you tie it off then? Thanks for any explanation.

They're put inside the basket like a paper coffee filter would sit inside the coffee pot's filter basket. Catches small schmutz as well as larger leaves and such, which prevents pool debris from going through your pipes and into the pump and filter.

During pollen season you'll be amazed at what they catch. Ugh!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.