Jandy Stealth epump- not starting up with power (added pics)

Jun 18, 2010
I'm away on vacation and made the mistake of allowing some family members to use the pool in our absence. Evidently on Sunday, they picked the Viio Turbo cleaner out of the water and placed it on the patio. Afterwards, they left. With the cleaner on the patio but still hooked up to its return port.

Now, my Jandy system runs the cleaner for two hours a day, and runs the Jandy 2HP variable stealth pump 12 hours a day. Today my brother stopped by to check on the house and noticed the pool water level was low and water surface was still. He's the one that reported that the cleaner was on the patio.

So, beginning Monday (today is Thursday), the pump was probably ejecting all sorts of water onto the patio until the water level dropped below the skimmers and the pump started sucking air.

On the phone I had him reset all the breakers and make sure the control was calling for Filter Pump to be "ON", and he said nothing nada happened noise-wise back at the pump.

So, I get back next weekend to a headache. My guess is that the pump impeller would seize up, and then motor eventually burn out? Any other ideas? And how serviceable are these or am I likely to be looking at another one?
http://www.poolsupplyworld.com/Jandy-JE ... JEP2.0.htm

Re: Guesses as to what has happened

Your impeller may be ok, the motor could be the problem. If you can get it apart, see if you can turn the impeller by hand. Also, disconnect the motor from the impeller and see if the motor works by itself. If you can, then the motor can be had a lot cheaper than a new pump. Grainger or the like in your area would have the motor. I hope the relatives that did this are stepping up to help make it right.

If the pump ran dry for very long it most likely melted the wet end and then possibly burnt the motor out. Without any water to cool it the seal generates a lot of heat.

Thanks for the replies. I'm home and looking at it now. Interestingly, when I powered everything up, the computer did not beep and try to kick on the pump like it always does. When I put the AquaLink RS in servic mode, and press the filter pump button, the computer beeps and I do have 110v power to both of the legs at the pump... But pump motor does not click, turn over or otherwise indicate there is power to it.
Simple question: if I have 220v to the pump, shouldn't it try to spin? Or could the small communication wires or the variable speed electronics piggybacked on the motor perhaps interrupt the power?
It's Saturday and Jandy tech line is closed.

Re: Jandy Stealth epump- not starting up with power (added p

I'm going to get the motor and variable electronics bench tested. But even if they are bad, I need to determine if it has anything to do with the pump components.

Took the motor off the pump housing and believe my impeller and orange seal are damaged, but nothing was seized and I'm not sure if these grooves are OK having never seen a new one.
The impeller and orange seal have scratches in them, and when I drop the impeller in the seal, it can move around a bit. Not a tight seal at all.
I suspect this is abnormal wear, but is anyone familiar with these enough to say they are definitely bad?

ON EDIT: this forum seems to shrink the pics down so much I'm not sure they can be made out clearly...

cAjpFnE-yXQ3bbjW2a0NY7GMwax1XEexUbe28mqpfgE=w337-h225-p-no

l0Y0by9XBKN_niO9ZU4cXoB7ZEyxgKb9IEroxRDh4hk=w338-h225-p-no

I0i2g8jucIbRARebgC4qBfE8bWgV-FzMcI2egbpUtZw=w315-h211-p-no

Mjvy43BP-K3CZZEhxst5bjtQu2S7z4uPUTtKMRSUZlE=w309-h207-p-no

3FVgrV-1daZWADaYiup_Eb5ZwqRGSy50EDV1tF4jhWI=w316-h211-p-no

v9oNvGXGehHLHU5SHuZM6B3PxEEhTezv7Z3fqgP8-Wg=w315-h211-p-no

3dVMLsSqgQVrDuIS_G_jgMraV0UAJAiSh97BnRBBEF0=w316-h211-p-no

bZ3swadeWsPtiB0UAGHNALyGumdXF43XuBSmz0ZmcMQ=w277-h207-p-no

Yes, I agree its worn but it wasn't seized. I don't know why my pump doesn't run. I'll hopefully get some insight fom the Jandy tech line tomorrow. The pump says it is " Electronically protected duty cont rototianal cycle" so if it went off because it was too hot, hopefully it can be revived.
Meanwhile I've shocked my pol and submersed a sump pump to keep it moving around.

Closing the loop here- the Jandy tech line was awful. After a half hour wait on hold, they wouldn't discuss any testing procedures with me (the pool owner) so I had to coordinate a conference call with my electrican and the tech line "pro". Turns out he knows little to nothing about the electrical motor or piggyback electronics b/c it's built by AO Smith and he's really Zodiac and not Jandy etc. However, he does say if we have 220V to the pump L1/L2 and at least 10v to the Communication Red and Green, the motor is bad. Since a motor is $950 by itself and an entirely new JEP2.0 is only $1050, I went with a new pump. SAME PROBLEM.

Turns out somehow my Aqualink lost some of it's programming and didn't have the Pump1 mapped or assigned to "FILTRATION". So even though my old pump did score up its impeller assembly and would have needed another one ($48, by the way) somehow the programming also lost the pump assignment. Another by the way, none of the assignment stuff is in the Owners manual... they assume a pool professional sets that up and leaves forever. Only by poking around on the One Touch wall control in the Program sublevels did I stumble on the missing pump assignment and had a little bulb go off in my head.

I'm out $1,000 thanks to Jandy's crappy tech line guidance. At least I have a 2 year old spare 2HP Jandy epump as backup.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.