shock level

hello again pool gurus...i know my question has probably been answered a million times but after spending some time searching old posts in the forums, i'm not finding it. i need to know how many ppm constitutes "shock level". i'm just getting started and my fc is at 1 ppm / tc is at 3 ppm - so if i'm doing the tests right, that makes my cc at 2 ppm. i read where if cc is above .5, i need to shock. so... what is the "shock level"???? i'm using bleach. thanx much.

Shock level depends on your CYA level. You can use my Pool Calculator, see the link in my signature, to find out what shock level is for your CYA level. Enter your CYA level in the CYA row and the Now column then look at the blue Suggested FC levels section towards the bottom for normal and shock levels of FC.

not sure what the cya level is yet, as i am currently in the process of getting one of those taylor test kits. all i have now is a cheap drop test kit that only tests clorine & ph. so, for the sake of argument, let's pretend my cya is at accetable levels. the blue "suggested fc levels" row at the bottom of the pool calculator reads swg-2 normal-3 to 7 shock 15 mustard algae shock 24 .... i'm new to all this so, i'm not sure what "swg" means and when i read "shock-15" is that telling me i need to be at 15 ppm to get to shock level? sorry for sounding like an idiot, but this chemestry stuff is gonna take some getting used to. i'll learn it - with help from you pool gurus, but till i do, i'll need more help. thanx tons for your feedback.

If you have high CYA your shock level is even higher, and putting in 15 ppm won't help.

(side note:putting your equipment in your sig would be a good addition)

Remind us, is your pool water new fill? or are you working with 'old' water, did you use dichlor or trichlor in the past? That would be a clue if you have higher CYA.

SWG is the saltwater thingy, I don't have one. Yes, bringing it to 15 ppm is normal "shock level" as it were. the mustard algea is harded to kill and therefore requires more ppm. I have high CYA and my shock level is 23ppm - so it really can vary greatly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.