Filter pressure issue

Jun 27, 2013
Hi guys
New here.

I have a DT filter thats a bit old but still works fine to my knowledge. I've been having a pump issue as well but I don't believe its causing my filter issue.

If I run the pump my filter pressure goes to 55-60psi. Then if I backwash, while I am backwashing it goes out at 15-20psi. THen once I backwash and turn the filter back on normally it works at about 35 psi with good flow for about 30 minutes and then it shoots back up with bad flow to the 55-60psi range.

Is it possible that there is an obstruction in the outlet? I can't figure out how this would happen....

Any ideas?
Frustrated! :grrrr: :grrrr: :grrrr: :hammer: :hammer:

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!! :wave:

It is actually not even really possible for a pool pump to get the pressure that high even if the return pipe was completely blocked. I am thinking your gauge is just bad and should be replaced. Does it go to 0 when the pump is off?

There could still be a problem, but hard to troubleshoot it ... if indeed the gauge is providing faulty information.

My first guess would be the gauge.

Second guess is that you have something like this going on:

file.php

file.php

Not my pictures...stolen from
extremely-dirty-d-e-filter-help-t60455.html

I would spend the < $15 to replace it just so I did not have to look at that thing ;)

I think it is off as all those pressures just seem overly high ... 35psi is possible but not typical ... 55-60psi is just not possible.

@Richard ... :lol: that filter was unbelievable.

I've cleaned my filter many times so it's clean on in the inside. It doesn't look like those horrendous filters above. I will try replacing out the gauge. Im having pump motor problems and I'm awaiting a new pump motor. Maybe it's the motor then after it's pumping for a while it has something to do with.
Pump makes noise but it's not capacitor or the bearings as I replaced both. I think the shaft is bent as there were rub marks on one side of the shaft that goes between the copper wound wires.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.