Sequestrants for specific metals?

crokett

Jul 17, 2007
Hillsborough, NC
I know I have metals in my well water so while I was filling the pool this year I added a sequestrant - Metal Free. However, the water is still colored. It is clear, it is just tinted a greenish/brownish. The coloring appears to be related to me adding the chlorine. I don't think this is alage - there is nothing on the sides of the pool and the water is clear, it is just colored. So do the sequestrants target specific metals and/or does it have a shelf life?

Sequestrants can be made that prefer specific metals but all of them will work to some extent on any metal. If the water is very clear and turned a color when chlorine was added then it is likely because of metals in the water. You might not have used enough sequestrant. Lowering the PH a little might also help.

Sequestrant lasts a long time in the bottle but it starts to break down once you put it in the pool. When you have metals in the water you need to add maintenance does of sequestrant regularly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.