Proper FC level for a SWG Pool

May 5, 2013
Egg Harbor Twp, NJ
I've read throught the Pool School and many of the forums here with great interest and have learned an incredible amount. Here's my question though...according to the CYA/Chlorine chart, for a pool with a SWG and a CYA of 70, the FC level should be maintained at a target of 5 ppm (minimum of 3). However, according to my IC 40 SWG User Manual, it states FC of between 2.0 - 4.0, and specifically says "Above 4.0 ppm may cause corrosion of metal components". Is there any truth to this statement? Should I continue to maintain at 5.0 - 6.0 ppm as I have been or should I drop it down below 4.0?

Thanks!

ssummer said:
"Above 4.0 ppm may cause corrosion of metal components". Is there any truth to this statement?
This would only be true if there were no Cyanuric Acid (CYA) in the water. As was noted by Dave, the industry doesn't understand the chlorine/CYA relationship. The active chlorine level at the minimum FC for SWG pools in the Chlorine / CYA chart is equivalent to only 0.05 ppm FC with no CYA. Even the shock FC level is equivalent to only 0.7 ppm FC with no CYA. Cyanuric Acid significantly moderates chlorine's active strength.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.