Best way to cool down pool temp

Jun 12, 2007
North Carolina
We've been in the 90's and I'm shocked at how fast our water temp is rising. I'm afraid that by mid July, it won't even be refreshing. We're supposed to hit 100 tomorrow and we're in North Carolina! We have terrible humidity to top it off.

What is the best way to cool pool water?

Running your pump at night will help some. Running a fountain will help more. Anything that encourages evaporation will cool the water.

My water temp is now 94, too warm for my preference but OK with my daughter and grandson. I have a homemade fountain (PVC) which does a good job of aerating. I think I will get more cooling by running the fountain at night but probably want to run the filter and LQ during the day, is this correct? I can get more contacts for the timer to split the time I run the pump.
Does anyone know a "rule of thumb" for how much DE to add to a sand filter, mine is 325#.

A Pool Cooler in action as we are posting.

I believe you get better cooling in the middle of the day. The cooling is provided primarily thru evaporation and evaporation would be greatest when the temp/dewpoint spread is the widest...usually about 3-4pm.

Mine, too, is made from cobbled-together spare pieces of pvc with 1/4 inch hole drilled in the top.

Attachments

• pool_cooler.jpg
    pool_cooler.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 1,550

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
duraleigh said:
A Pool Cooler in action as we are posting.

I believe you get better cooling in the middle of the day. The cooling is provided primarily thru evaporation and evaporation would be greatest when the temp/dewpoint spread is the widest...usually about 3-4pm.

Mine, too, is made from cobbled-together spare pieces of pvc with 1/4 inch hole drilled in the top.

Dave,
Can you post a picture close up of the actual fountain you built? Nice job and thanks for all the ideas for cooling.

I have a fountain for my spa and could let that spill over into the pool but I was thinking that would cause a huge amount of evaporation.

My water temp is also climbing fast every day as I get full sun. I wonder how much the evaporation will cost in terms of adding new water? I think my temp is around 90. Is it the aeration or evaporation that cools? If it is evaporation it seems that adding water each day will be costly and it seems that adding the cool water from underground will be one of the components to lowering the temp.

For some reason I'm terrible at posting links to topics but...oh well...do a search under pool cooling and look at duraleighs topic on end of summer pool cooling. He has pics and how to build etc. Hope this helps.

duraleigh,

Very cool. Sorry for the pun. I assume this snugs up tight to the water coming back into the pool (don't know the name of the little jets), but what holds it in place? Mine has orifices that can be rotated and directed to different directions. I guess you unscrew this and then the put a threaded piece on the PVC so it's a hard connection to the ject?

6\8 and already 87 degree water temp.

jjparrish said:
Thanks whoozer for the heads up and jjparish for the link. I could not get it to come up under the search. Probably because he said "cooler" instead of "cooling".

I wish there were some close up photos so I could see how he made the PVC device. Post any additional help to build this cooler if you have anything. I am going to try and run my intelliflow 2nd pump on very low speed and push water through my fountain that I purchased with my spa and see if the temp comes down. At 10:20 PM my temp is 90 degrees. Good news is that when I want to use my spa I only have to heat the water 12 degrees 8) :lol:

I guess you unscrew this and then the put a threaded piece on the PVC so it's a hard connection to the ject?
Yep. Once you remove the return eyeball, it's a standard pvc 1.5" thread.

The rest of it can be made in any shape or form you want. I used whatever I had to make 4 uprights but anything will work as long as you put some holes in it.

I just purchased a small fountain that hooks up to my return. It has been 100+ here in the south and I run my filter from 12-12 so that the fountain is cooling the water during the hottest time of the day. It really does help. My pool is in full sun until about 4:00 p.m. I can also turn the fountain off without having to remove it. I wish I was crafty enough to make my own.

I notice your ladder is removed. Mine is right in front of the deep end jet too. I thought it was just a screwup on mine but now I wonder. Is that done on purpose?

Dayhiker,

I would appreciate it if you would stop pointing out what a lazy bum I am :lol: :lol:

Not on purpose, the ladders have been laying beside the pool the last 4 days.....it's just too hot to put them in.

If yours is in front of a return, I'd say that's a minor screwup on PB's part but nothing that you can't live with. Looking on the bright side, algae likes to hang around ladders and all that circulation around yours probably helps keep it clean.

Yeah, I didn't think it was that big of a deal. It looked like maybe you had to remove your ladder to get the aerator on there so I thought maybe they were supposed to be in front of the ladder for some reason.

I thought your pool looked big in the photo then saw 25x54. Dang, that's enormous.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.