First Post/First TF-100 Test Results

MT

Jun 27, 2013
Orange County, NY
I've been lurking here for about a month and decided to try the BBB method, and joined this forum.
Pool is perfectly clear right now and temp of 82 degrees. I have not started putting liquid bleach into the pool. I have been using granulated 1 lb bags of shock and 3" pucks in a floating duck.

Current Test Results

FC - 7.5
CC - 0
pH - 7.5
TA - 120
CH - 130
CYA - 90

Am I correct in guessing that I should try and get my CYA down, so that I won't have to keep my FC so high? As far as I know the only way to lower CYA as partial drain and re-fill. I'm on well water here, so draining the pool by 1/2 is not a good option for me. And I don't want to pay for water delivery. By garden hose and rainfall, I can only raise the water level a few inches a day. Should I start down that path?

BTW, just yesterday I took the pucks out of the pool for good and added one bag of shock because it had just rained very hard and I did not have a test kit (waiting for the delivery that came today).

Am I correct with BBB method there is no need for Chlorine pucks anymore?

What levels should I keep my eye on and re-test daily at this point?

Thanks in advance all!

Welcome! :wave:

Question: What's in that bag of "shock" you bought? If it's di-chlor, you're still raising CYA levels. If it's Cal-hypo, it will be okay, but you need to switch to bleach soon.

Right now, if the pool is clear, you can keep it that way by maintaining FC between 7 and 10 FC. If the best you can do is a couple inches a week, do it.

pool-school/basic_pool_care_schedule

Like Richard says keep the FC level in line for your CYA level, and stay on top of it. The sooner you get your CYA level down the less likely an event of some type will happen (storm debris in pool, pump breaks down, etc.) that may lead to an out of control algae bloom. Rainfall can help with this, but only if your rate of rainfall is faster than your rate of evaporation, if you are dependent on rainfall for water addition, you might consider rigging a tarp as a rain catch that directs water to the pool, etc. Even a couple of relatively cheap blue tarps can easily double the rain catchment area of your pool.

Ike

MT said:
It's di-chlor. Thanks for the advice. Thunderstorm coming through right now. Free fresh water for me!

file.php

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.