how to by-pass intex timer and swg?

Jul 26, 2012
My intex salt water pump is less than a year old and keep dying on me with a red service light. the pump runs for about a minute then shut down.
I'd like to know how to by-pass the system so I can still use the pump.
I had to put the small pump that came with the pool back on and dumped all the water out and just went back to using chlorine tablets.

I can't find the receipt for the pump and no-one locale works on them. I tried hooking up a chord directly to the pump wires but there are 4 wires coming from the pump.
white, black, green and Orange. the power chord only has 3 wire.

If you have the Intex saltwater chlorine generator that has the filter pump and SWG all connected in one (combination pump) you can get the filter pump to run without the chlorine generator by pressing and holding BOTH the UP and DOWN arrows at the same time until you hear the system make a single beep and the screen will say "FP" meaning "filter pump" is the only thing activated. Hope this helps!

P.S. when the red service light comes on, there is no service actually needed. It really means that something is wrong that can't be fixed (with the chlorinator) and you'll have to buy the saltwater generator separate and use your old combination system as a filter pump only (it's what I had to do, Intex told me about the red service light meaning it needs replaced since the electronics inside are fried)

Charlie_R said:
Do you have a test kit? If not, how are you going to make sure you don't drive your stabilizer (CYA) too high? How will you know that you have the right amount of chlorine in the pool?

I have several test kits and I've given up on the salt water system. this intex system was less than a year old and already messed up. I can't find my receipt and don't remember where I bought it...online someplace. I tried to backtrack through ebay but can only go back three months ( i think) and the same with PayPal. So, I gave up and went back to chlorine tablets.

I love how soft salt water makes the water feel, I don't even like swimming in normal chlorine pools anymore after I've had one. Plus the cost of chlorine tablets and shock is crazy, I love not having to pay for as many chemicals.

Most pool owners here do not use tablets or pucks to keep their pool clean. They are using bleach (liquid chlorine) to sanitize. This is essentially the same as what a SWG generates using the salt in the water. You can continue to have the salt in the water (for the feel) and use chlorine/bleach to sanitize.

To make this all possible, you need a high quality, high accuracy test kit. Test strips and the ones they sell at most pool stores and Wal-Mart do not have the range or accuracy required. Pool School (button on top right of this page) has all the details.

Liquid chlorine runs $30 for a decent size jug, which wouldn't last long. Maintaining a SWG is much cheaper in the long run, as long as you use cell saver in your pool it stays clean a lot longer too.

Found this old thread looking up the same thing. Bought a Intex sand filter, it didnt work. Just the red dot on the screen. Got another and it ran about 2 weeks perfectly. Now it does the same as the first post. May run 5 mins or may run 5 seconds. Then it shuts off and just shows the red dot instead of FP. Want to bypass the timer. The pump itself obviously works.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.